Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions and advice about making a tileset/graphics set?  (Read 1873 times)

ClownyCobalt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Honk honk!
    • View Profile
Questions and advice about making a tileset/graphics set?
« on: February 01, 2022, 07:04:23 pm »

Hey! I just made an account to ask a couple questions about making my own tileset and graphic set as well! Pardon me if this isn't the right place to ask it!

Anyways, I was just wondering, when it comes to reassigning different parts of a tileset to a different tile, it can be any tile right? Because if so, I was wondering why other people don't use the dwarf and military dwarf tiles for a different object? Because the dwarves themselves will be replaced by the graphic set and won't show as the ascii art, right? I can see the regular dwarf face as being needed for status flashing effects though... hmm. So yea! I know there are a few tiles that aren't used for anything, is there any specific thing that would be best put in those free spaces?
General tileset and graphic set advice welcome as well obviously! I'm a bit of a novice heh!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Questions and advice about making a tileset/graphics set?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 01:41:54 am »

Using those tiles for anything else requires editing the raw file of that object/plant.  Some things do not even have a raw file (e.g. hives only have it as an item, not as a building)

Dubya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 06:48:54 am »

Because if so, I was wondering why other people don't use the dwarf and military dwarf tiles for a different object? Because the dwarves themselves will be replaced by the graphic set and won't show as the ascii art, right?

Right, but you can't override corpses, so your dead dwarves will be whatever that tile is. You can change the tile from [CREATURE_TILE:1] to whatever other tile you find suitable for corpses and delete [CREATURE_SOLDIER_TILE:2] to get around this though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 06:50:48 am by Dubya »

ClownyCobalt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Honk honk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 02:13:41 pm »

Because if so, I was wondering why other people don't use the dwarf and military dwarf tiles for a different object? Because the dwarves themselves will be replaced by the graphic set and won't show as the ascii art, right?

Right, but you can't override corpses, so your dead dwarves will be whatever that tile is. You can change the tile from [CREATURE_TILE:1] to whatever other tile you find suitable for corpses and delete [CREATURE_SOLDIER_TILE:2] to get around this though.
Ah! Thank you Dubya! I completely forgot to consider corpses... I really appreciate it!!!

Using those tiles for anything else requires editing the raw file of that object/plant.  Some things do not even have a raw file (e.g. hives only have it as an item, not as a building)
Mhm! I should really look into the raws of them more, figure all that out...