Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flask Weights  (Read 2147 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flask Weights
« on: February 04, 2022, 06:21:53 pm »

So, been outfitting my military and decided to be a bit ostentatious and give them silver flasks instead of simpler waterskins. Except that when I go check the empty silver flasks, I notice that they weight about 10 urists, which seem excessive, given that a steel breastplate is about 16 and a silver mace 8.

So, gotta ask: Do I have a bug/typo in my raws? Are they supposed to weight 2/3 of a breastplate? Really, how thick are my dwarves making those flasks? Because that's more like a solid brick than a mostly hollow vessel.  :o
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Flask Weights
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 03:46:30 am »

Flasks are not raw-defined.  Given the silver-flasks weigh 10 units, I believe flasks are SIZE:1000, or approximately 1 Litre in solid volume.  With this much material, they are more akin to bathtubs!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 06:06:22 pm »

They'd make good bludgeoning weapons at that mass.

There's a reason I always give my lot leather waterskins instead of metal flasks.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 02:14:49 am »

How else are they supposed to carry their full ration of booze?

Maybe use tin or something instead.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 06:45:29 am »

The intention was probably a thermo-mug sized object, but its not thin enough to not be cumbersome. Similar issue with certain bits of metal crowns, earrings and bracelets that can weigh a dwarf down to death.

If you pump up the coverage of a armor item over a hundred it increases its weight thickness and mass (with a meltdown to connected ore-metals and added non-specified forging cost), so a vague guess if a similar piece of logic is at play may be it might be a 100% default a completely whole object for the size 1000 rather than having a actual density and weight of a size 250 by reducing its coverage ratio to 25%

But that's just the logic im rolling with without confirming very much, may be selected completely differently.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 12:55:19 pm »

Given the silver-flasks weigh 10 units, I believe flasks are SIZE:1000, or approximately 1 Litre in solid volume.
If you look on the Weight page on the wiki (which is based on disassembly analysis), the "volume" of a flask is 100, and raw-defined items have a "volume" of their SIZE divided by 10 - therefore, flasks have the equivalent of [SIZE:1000]. Going by the behavior of custom containers, they also have the equivalent of [CAPACITY:1800].

A single unit of Alcohol has [SIZE:2000], while Water is just [SIZE:600].
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 03:02:34 am »

How else are they supposed to carry their full ration of booze?

Maybe use tin or something instead.
I mean, at that weight they might as well have strapped on a wooden barrel* (with avocado**, a pretty middle of the road, if on the slightly lighter side) weighting 10 Urists, just about the same as a silver flask, and then they would really be able to carry a proper booze ration.

* Speaking of which, the metal barrels probably are rather overweight too. Dwarves seem to like make things thick***.

** Now I'm feeling like having some Mexican food.

*** [Insert (in)appropriate meme here]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:28:49 am by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.