Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How would you categorize creature size?  (Read 1965 times)

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
How would you categorize creature size?
« on: February 22, 2022, 02:09:11 pm »

If you had to expand on every creature in the game, how would you categorize them by size?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: How would you categorize creature size?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 07:44:11 pm »

The base size values are in the raws and can be extracted.

Do you mean categorize by shape? Like how a dwarf may be taller than a crocodile but not as long?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 06:20:41 am »

Dwarves are bigger than a breadbox.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 02:46:31 am »

The wiki tends to describe creature sizes relative to that of dwarves - and grizzly bears for some reason. The second might be less wise, but taking it relative to dwarves could work for all creatures to great precision. Alternatively you could decide on a scale with words like

miniscule - tiny - small - medium-sized - big - giant - gargantuan

with set intervals for the sizes, and then put these size categories on the page where you describe the mod.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 10:41:20 am »

I imagine the listed size categories as referencing weight/density a lot more than length or height. It's how elves can be taller than dwarves or goblins and yet still be in the same size category (either that or they're just being massive hypocrites with their 'short' jokes, I guess either is just as likely).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 10:20:33 pm »

I imagine the listed size categories as referencing weight/density a lot more than length or height. It's how elves can be taller than dwarves or goblins and yet still be in the same size category (either that or they're just being massive hypocrites with their 'short' jokes, I guess either is just as likely).
It's total volume. An elf is taller than a dwarf but thinner, while a human is both taller and about as... broad... as a dwarf.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 06:50:35 am »

It's total volume. An elf is taller than a dwarf but thinner, while a human is both taller and about as... broad... as a dwarf.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I assumed it works.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 07:12:20 am »

It is for creatures such as Dwarves and Goblins made out of equally dense materials, then the distinction between similar volume and similar weight doesn’t need to be made. But say if a gabbro man could wear clothes, it would have to be that of a human since they are the same volume, despite the gabbro man being a much heavier creature made of stone.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 08:02:40 am »

It is for creatures such as Dwarves and Goblins made out of equally dense materials, then the distinction between similar volume and similar weight doesn’t need to be made. But say if a gabbro man could wear clothes, it would have to be that of a human since they are the same volume, despite the gabbro man being a much heavier creature made of stone.
Whether clothing can be worn is a size thing, not a weight thing. Weight is separate from size for creatures.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?