Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speed?`  (Read 1124 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Speed?`
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

What does it actually do? Make you walk faster? Attack faster? But it's turn-based... how does it work?

For example, does the game have a set amount of turns that occur for each "turn" you experience?  In this case, do units move more squares than you for each square you can move?

So if this is true, is it possible to hit a maximum and be able to move say... 200 steps and strangle a goblin to death before another being breathes?

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Speed?`
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

The wiki knows. It's kind of complicated, so go there. Basically, speed affects how often you get to act on an "omnipresent game clock".

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

I don't believe you can ever move fast enough to do more then one thing per turn.  However, the lower speed gets, the fewer turns you get to use.  It's like a penalty for carrying too much stuff.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

Edit: Beaten to it, had an interruption while typing. This board needs a 'someone else posted before you, read below again and then decide if you want to not or revise this'

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Wooty ]

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

That would be extreamly awsome..All I know is as your speed encreases you move faster...You can move two spaces while your enemy moves just one...Also think it helps dodging alot...Cause just now I ran around an archer and was dodging all his shots
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

From wiki:
quote:
Creatures have to wait x turns before performing another action, where x is Raw Speed/100

So you were right, "the game has a set amount of turns that occur for each "turn" you experience" and your speed determines how many turns you wait till the next action (any: movement/attack/anything), and I think you've noticed that if you swap things in inventory/drop something, it takes less "turns" than attack/movement, while shooting from bow takes more, thus you are able to drop/pick up a few items before the enemy attacks again, while attacks are usually take turns and while you make 1 shot enemies do 2-4 steps.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository