Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: -Tales of the first and second world-  (Read 3590 times)

Goatex

• Bay Watcher
  • I like DF. :) I draw and write.
    • View Profile
-Tales of the first and second world-
« on: January 09, 2022, 01:53:54 pm »

HELLO  :)

Strike the earth, fellow dwarfs. My name is Filip.

I want to share some stories of adventure and danger with you.

This weekend I finally decided to format and organize my dwarf fortress journal stories from the last few years. I made this, mostly, to share with you, here. I like to write journals of my fortresses, which started off as a simple to-do list for the year in my fortresses, but grew into a kind of role-play, where I report on the fortress while assuming the role of one of the inhabitants.

My original journals have some orthographic mistakes and bad formatting, as I usually write them in a hurry. I cleaned them up for easy reading.
They are in PDF format, you can download them or share them as you see fit, but mostly, I would be happy if you read and have some fun.

Parchment paper style can be found here, but...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XeFd5_qZa3OAUL9Ok-AugCUM3yP3kqBL/view?usp=sharing

...if you prefer a simple black and white format, here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hOETKG8K2WO29t5sPSuoxxyQktnakvoF/view?usp=sharing

Cheers!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: -Tales of the first and second world-
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 03:28:19 pm »

Awesome collection of stories, with a well-wrought solemnity throughout! The way the anecdotes are spaced apart reminds me of how I play - a few years spent in each fortress, maybe something noteworthy happens, maybe not, but afterwards I move on to another adventure, something fresh or exciting. Thus our memories of these fortresses are a sort of hazy semi-hallucinatory patchwork story, with the in-between tedium forgotten.

...Our hall was doomed, half of our clan has turned, they become mad lizard creatures at
every full moon. We were able to imprison most of them in the hospital, but new ones soon
appeared. Now we will leave without our infected clan-folk, we must take the children to safety,
even if that means living on the surface. With some luck a new fortress will be found, a safer place,
away from all the evil of the surface world...

I look forward to the second installment. That opening linework image really sets the mood here!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 03:29:53 pm by Salmeuk »

Goatex

• Bay Watcher
  • I like DF. :) I draw and write.
    • View Profile
Re: -Tales of the first and second world-
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 02:22:58 am »

Thank you Salmeuk. I remember the werelizard fortress fondly, it was my only attempt to settle on a sea beach.

I tried to keep a written style, but have different moods depending on the character of the dwarf writing.

I originally planned to make more drawings to go with the text, but finally, I was postponing too much, and decided to submit it anyways.

I think I'll have a bit more drawings next time.