Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I was walking along  (Read 898 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
So I was walking along
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »

I had just finished slaughtering every one in a human town and was walking around in the boonies looking for animals to ambush me... I had already killed three packs of wolves and a few black bears when I was ambushed by a grizzly. I calmly waited for him to walk into range so I could use my throwing swords on him.. I threw one and it cut up his paw. He ran up to me and tried to hit me but i dodged it.. the bad thing about this was we were standing next to two ponds and from jumping away from the bears attack I jumped into the pond.. I knew I was going to die so I threw my best throwing sword at the bear and it choped off his head.Sence I had no skill in swimming I drowned in that pool.. Never to kill a human and burn his body in a mass burning of the towns dead...Never again to throw a sword at the mayor and have it get stuck in his heart and kill him.. Never again to wait in the tavern for people to come in and kill them... Never again to paint a town red with the townsfolks blood.. So my question is.. How do you train swimming without drowning yourself? also if you have alot of strength or what ever can you last longer while drowning than an untrained person? Cause it seems my guy lasted a long time..
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I was walking along
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

It's pretty tough sometimes. I usually start out with novice and then I sleep in a river or something and I get a ton of xp.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

Sleeping in a river gives you xp in it? didnt know that...alrighty.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

Just thought id mention.. I just got ambushed by carp... carp for armoks sakes..I sliced open ones fin and they all started swiming down the river.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »

Sleeping while swimming doesn't work anymore in the latest versions. You end up drowned before you could ake up.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

Worked fine for me.  Go to sleep as a novice, wake up as a skilled swimmer.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

Worked for me as well.  You do need to be at least novice to do it though.

To train it up from scratch if you can find a lake(one of those big ones that show up on world maps but not oceans) they usually have sloped sides.

You can take a dip in that lake for awhile hanging out on the side and climb back up the ramp before you finish drowning.  Do that a few times and you should get to novice.  At novice you don't have to worry about drowning unless you do something stupid like fall in instead of walking in.

EDIT: It seems like anything that causes stun causes you to stop swimming and start drowning.  So even if you had swimming skill the fight with the bear would have likely ended the same way as the 1 z level fall would probably stun you.

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

From another thread:
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Paragon:
<STRONG>Best (non-exploiting) way to safely train up swimming, dabbling, novice, or otherwise:

Find a waterfall, go to the very edge and hop down into the water. It'll only be 2-3 /7 tiles deep since it's spilling over the edge.

Then, just... run against the current. If you start drowning, run back to the edge. Chances are the water will keep pushing you back until you get up to professional swimmer, though. When you're done, [T]ravel out, since you can't scale the river edges unless swimming.

</STRONG>

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 01:47:00 am »

Just be careful when you sleep in the water...

Quote from Umiman:

quote:

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository