Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the newest way of powerleveling, Captain Ironblood surpa  (Read 7914 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
the newest way of powerleveling, Captain Ironblood surpa
« on: April 14, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

swimming while sleeping ?

old

strangling zombies ?

old

I reached legendary+17 shield user (that's shield user with more than 3700 exp to the next level)

in just 15 minutes
that's right, 15 minutes

pre-requisite: at least adept shield user, extremely tough or higher, as many shields equipped as possible

just walk around untill you are ambushed by a wolf pack, the more the merrier
lie on the ground, and simply wrestle with them a bit. Wolf suck at attacking, and you will easily block every single blow, given that your shield skill is already somewhat high. Just block a few strikes and see your exp EXPLODE
you can easily gain 300-500 shield user and 100-150 armor user exp by that EVERY step.

just don't hold . down, if you should grow tired or for some reason get hit, you should react quickly. Just take the wolfes out and search for the next pack

this training method is somewhat risky, so I don't recommend it for new adventurers, they can go and strangle a zombie instead

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the newest way of powerleveling, Captain Ironblood surpa
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:54:00 am »

I hate myself for this, but I got to say:

old

At least for me. But it's still great.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

Old as the sun.

Note: This works better with large groups of weaker enemies, because a wolf can easily rip your jugular out with one stray hit. I suggest having six shields on one arm.

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 09:06:00 am »

I wonder, do you get more experience deflecting arrows instead of regular shots?

Well, anyway, I found my fastest way of training the shield skill was to attack an elven retreat which was filled to the brim with past elven traders (200-300 elves). Within 10 minutes, I was legendary shield user. It was also the 9th or so adventurer to try and the first to succeed.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>I wonder, do you get more experience deflecting arrows instead of regular shots?

Well, anyway, I found my fastest way of training the shield skill was to attack an elven retreat which was filled to the brim with past elven traders (200-300 elves). Within 10 minutes, I was legendary shield user. It was also the 9th or so adventurer to try and the first to succeed.</STRONG>

I'm sure it's 10 experience for every block with a shield.

Also when doing this change your combat preference to "Close combat", your guy will just counter with toe-grabs or whatever he feels like, but will not hack them to pieces on counterstrikes.

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

I'm sure it's 10 experience for every block with a shield.</STRONG>

10 per shield

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

Ahhh... that would explain why I got the levels so fast.

Thus, the fastest way to train your shield skill would be a combination? Wear as many frigging shields as possible until your speed is... one? Then go kill somebody in a heavily populated region.

If you're lucky, with 20 shields and near zero speed, you could earn 200 exp with each hit and with at least 4 creatures hitting you at once, that's 800 exp per hit! Then counting your extreme slow speed, I would assume you could legendary in but seconds... if you survive.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Ahhh... that would explain why I got the levels so fast.

Thus, the fastest way to train your shield skill would be a combination? Wear as many frigging shields as possible until your speed is... one? Then go kill somebody in a heavily populated region.

If you're lucky, with 20 shields and near zero speed, you could earn 200 exp with each hit and with at least 4 creatures hitting you at once, that's 800 exp per hit! Then counting your extreme slow speed, I would assume you could legendary in but seconds... if you survive.</STRONG>

blocking hits will make you tired

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

I don't do much in adventurer mode, so how do I equip 6 shields per arm?  The most I can do is 2 (one in each hand)    is there a trick to it?

That said, I may be overlooking the obvious...it did take me about an hour to figure out how to move on the Z axis with my fortress...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dresdor:
<STRONG>I don't do much in adventurer mode, so how do I equip 6 shields per arm?  The most I can do is 2 (one in each hand)    is there a trick to it?

That said, I may be overlooking the obvious...it did take me about an hour to figure out how to move on the Z axis with my fortress...</STRONG>

you grab as many shields as possible (with your hands full, so they get put in your backpack) and then you remove them from your backpack, so they get removed into your (already full) hands. It removes them in a pattern, though (remove one, gets put in left, remove another, gets put in right) so if you want to fill your right arm with shields, remove clothing when you know it's going into your left hand, and remove shields when it's going to your right.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

O_O'

Does that work with swords? Because hot damn.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Ahhh... that would explain why I got the levels so fast.

If you're lucky, with 20 shields and near zero speed, you could earn 200 exp with each hit and with at least 4 creatures hitting you at once, that's 800 exp per hit! Then counting your extreme slow speed, I would assume you could legendary in but seconds... if you survive.</STRONG>

your computer would also take an hour or more per turn to calculate what the hell is going on and you would never be able to leave.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

So, I can't find the holding multiple items in each hand bug on the reported bug list. I take it no one's suggesting it because it makes surviving in adv mode so much easier? Or is Toady aware of it (but hasn't updated the dev bug page for a while).
火族

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keizo:
<STRONG>So, I can't find the holding multiple items in each hand bug on the reported bug list. I take it no one's suggesting it because it makes surviving in adv mode so much easier? Or is Toady aware of it (but hasn't updated the dev bug page for a while).</STRONG>

I'm pretty sure it's in the bug list.