Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any good historical blogs focusing on non-roman history or unique times/places?  (Read 796 times)

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you've checked other games you know I'm making a game that while fantasy tries to be able to simulate any given time or place up to the middle of the Victorian Era. I've been looking for non-wiki in-depth info in a mid-level complexity format, something like Brett Devereaux's history blog but just not Roman-focused, to make sure the systems are flexible enough for a wide range of political, military, administrative, and cultural set ups.

Google has been really failing to turn up strong results for me though I've connected to a few ancient history forums to see if they can help. I know Bay12 has some top quality nerds. Anyone have some good recommendations? Anything about medieval Albania or Poland prior to the PLC for instance. Or 900-1200 era Russian stuff like the grand duchies?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

I asked a dnd group and they sent me this book. Central Eastern Europe (Hungary mostly), though maybe only the first few chapters are in the time-frame you're looking at.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Nice book, but it makes me sad in regards to current events in that I worry that parts of Eastern Europe are going back to being controlled by the descendants of the Soviets.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I asked a dnd group and they sent me this book. Central Eastern Europe (Hungary mostly), though maybe only the first few chapters are in the time-frame you're looking at.

Ah something slavic/steppe adjacent was on my list so I'll definitely read that. I get responses a lot of places saying we just don't have much outside rome and western europe. Sad times.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

Are you looking for places where you can interact and ask questions, so that you can arrive at an better understanding of specific civilizations or cultures?

I mean... there is a decent outline of the Albanian timeline in wikipedia, which includes many book references, and some of the authors have published recently, so you might be able to find additional media released by those authors, or find places where information is talked about by searching for those authors or books.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

That dnd group continued with suggesting some of the usuals like Guns, Germs, and Steel - and also suggest just searching for podcasts. The way of the blog is pretty dead, but certainly there would be something out there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Uh, play Darklands?
They were decent enough to at least marginally include Greater Germany, which included Poland and other Slavic lands.