Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Work order condition has wrong stock number  (Read 1114 times)

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Work order condition has wrong stock number
« on: December 01, 2021, 04:06:11 am »

The condition "amount of rock nut soap available is less than 20" is "satisfied for next check". However, I have 27 rock nut soaps. Upon changing the number in the condition, I find out that the condition is satisfied right at 9, but not at 8, which means the manager believes that there are exactly 8 rock nut soaps when he manages work orders. Why?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 09:46:43 pm by coalboat »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Word order condition has wrong stock number
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 04:34:56 am »

Here's some ideas:
  • Are 19 of the soaps "owned" by hospitals?
  • Are there exactly 8 stacks of soap?
  • Does looking for any soap-type bars (as opposed to rocknut-oil-soap-material bars) make a difference?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 05:04:38 am »

The standard reason for things that exist not to be available is that they're stored in containers that are accessed all the time. Containers and their contents are locked during a period around the access, so neither the containers nor their contents are available for any other purpose during that period. Thus, usage of containers for storage is bound to cause trouble unless you know exactly what you're doing (and thinking that you do isn't enough: there are lots of bite marks on bums to prove that). It can be noted that access to an item in a stack probably locks the whole stack during the access in the same way as container access does.

Note that this does go against Mobbstar's hospital check suggestion: hospital stock is listed as available but isn't actually available for any purpose other than hospital use (and some of it not even for that: buckets allocated to the hospital are completely wasted, with the hospital spamming messages about no available buckets for the task of fetching water for cleaning wounds when all the free buckets are locked up by the hospital bureaucrazy).

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 05:44:17 am »

I set hospital soap to zero, and use no bin to store soap, and no rock nut soap is stacked.

After trying other types of soap, I find a pattern. There are 12 crundle soaps, but the manager thinks there are only 4; There are 30 rock nut soaps, but there are only 10 to the manager. As a conclusion, the manager always only counts 1/3 of the soaps!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 08:56:29 am »

Could this be a case where partial soaps are not counted as valid by the manager? Used soap is not a whole "bar" (the underlying item type in the manager screen) any longer for the purpose of being an input in a hypothetical reaction that turns soap into something else.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 02:24:53 pm »

The manager cannot see any item that is TSK-ed (carried by a unit for a hauling or clean self job, in a bin that is TSK'ed because a dwarf is trying to put something in it, or TSK'ed because it is in flight).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:27:57 pm by anewaname »
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 07:45:55 pm »

I now check again and here's the result:

goat soap: 3 in stock, 1 for work order condition
reindeer soap: 9 in stock, 4 for work order condition
rock nut soap: 30 in stock, 9 for work order condition
crundle soap: 12 in stock, 4 for work order condition

Note that rock nut soap appears to be one bar less in work order condition than yesterday, for some reason, while the real stock doesn't change.

My soap pile is currently full, and only two dwarfs have "clean self" task, so it can't be 2/3 of all the soaps are locked in task. Maybe it's because used soaps are not counted. Still, the 1:3 ratio is a strange pattern.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 05:30:05 pm »

Your idea that used bars are not counted is probably correct. My fort has 73 bars of soap in the Stocks, but only 65 visible to the job manager, 6 are stored in the hospital, and none are being hauled for Clean Self, Clean Patient, or stockpile jobs; so 2 bars are unaccounted for.

This probably applies to partial thread and cloth also, due to hospitals.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.