Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I misplaced a giant  (Read 1187 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
I misplaced a giant
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

Hi!

My third adventurer (first one underestimated a pack of wolves, second one underestimated her second cyclops (^_^;; ) is currently doing quite well, having earned her first name. However, there is one quest she simply can't finish.

The quest sounds simple enough; it is a kill a giant quest.

When I arrived at the location tile, I met some troglodytes on the surface. Finally, I found the cave entrance, and there were no slopes!!!

Since it was early on and I was not sure what to think about the character, I took the risk and jumped down into the cave. She got seriously battered and reflexively, I had her sleep (I should have remembered that it would heal her). Anyhow, I explored the cave and did not meet any hostiles at all.

Exploring the cavern took several goes, so I might have missed something, but there are some oddities:

When I left the cave map to the travel map for the first time, there was a creature directly north of the cave map. I chose not to investigate, so I do not know, but now I believe that was the giant leaving.

When I talk about the villagers now, they mention the cave, but they do not say that the giant lives there.

However, the quest is still linked to the cave.

I was wondering. There was something about named creatures being put into sites if they are not already there. Could it be, that the giant, after leaving the cave map (for whatever reason), got "teleported" to a new location? Or could he be roaming the countryside right now?

(I have noticed that after attacking a goblin tower, small groups/individual goblins began travelling around the area).

While it is annoying to have the TSK'ed cave always in the overview, even though I have moved quite a bit away from it, I basically find this incident quite amusing. And I hope to find the giant somewhere eventually :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Deathworks

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: I misplaced a giant
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

Double deathworks at the end?
And yes, the animal/creature can go wherever it likes, I've found a quest cyclops attackind a village one day, because his cave was nearby.

But I've never seen a cave with no slopes... Sounds like a bug, you may report it.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

Hi!

Ouchie! The double signing happens when I correct my posts: First I write the post, including the closing 'Deathworks' and then I find I should rephrase something and once I have done that, I have forgotten that I have already signed the post, and thus 'double-sign' it (^_^;;

So, I suppose I will have to search the map for that lost giant... Oh well, eventually we will meet - I noticed that time passes relatively slowly in adventure mode, so it seems unlikely he will die of old age any time soon :) :) :)

About the slopes, I guess I should be a bit more specific to avoid misunderstandings:

Thus far, all caves I have seen have the structure of a big, oval area which is one z-level lower than its surroundings, connected to the surroundings via slopes around the entire fringe. In the center of that oval area, there is a single-tile slope leading one level down into the cave proper.

The giant's cave did not have any of the fringe slopes around the big,oval area, but the central slope connecting the oval area to the cave proper was there.

Deathworks

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

I've had that bug too. Not with the giant, but with the cave. Someone may remember my zero-reject world seed for 33g (or f). A cave there had a consistently reproduceable bug where it had no slopes around it, and was sunk two levels deep. Funny thing is, embarking a dwarf fort on that location had the cave appear normally (tried with identical copies of the world).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 02:52:00 am »

Hi!

Okay, I found the wayward giant. He was actually on the correct map tile, but not in the cave itself but somewhere east of it.

Thus, now the villagers say that he was slain in the swamps and not in the cave where they originally thought he was.

I am not quite sure how much of a bug the cave itself is. Okay, the villagers originally got it wrong about him living in the cave, but after I checked and told them that no one could get in or out that cave, they rectified that.

And the game obviously checked for accessibility and thus did not generate any hostiles inside the cave as it was not supposed to be visited. Instead, all the encounters planned for the cave were created on the surface map.

Thus, I have the feeling that this is actually kind of a feature.

Deathworks

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:27:00 am »

Well obviously it's a feature, as it is now documented, and as we know, all "bugs" that are documented become "features".

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dwarfaholic ]