Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Show glyph of the combatants alongside the red C on the left bar  (Read 1027 times)

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Show glyph of the combatants alongside the red C on the left bar
« on: November 28, 2021, 03:53:12 am »

This will tell the player more details about the combat: if it is a dwarf on dwarf brawling, a chicken war in crowded hatchery, a goblin invasion, or a forgotten beast wrestling plump helmet man.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Show glyph of the combatants alongside the red C on the left bar
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 03:54:54 pm »

If there is only one or two combats happening, an icon like that would make it easy for you to see the waiting combat reports are just sparring, but.... what happens where there is 8 or 10 combats happening at once, mostly sparring but some fighting between wildlife and your fort's animals? That one location on the screen would be a series of flashing icons and you would still need to check the 'r'eports to see what is happening.

Many players use a 3rd-party tool to filter combat reports and display the ones that may show danger to your dwarfs. It will show you these in a separate window in real-time, so you can see the flash of new text and immediately know to pause the game and assess the danger. These tools will not cause FPS loss.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Show glyph of the combatants alongside the red C on the left bar
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 07:28:43 pm »

Each glyph will stay for one or two seconds, like how the text announcement at the bottom rolls.