Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The traitorous guard  (Read 1579 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
The traitorous guard
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

This may or may not be a bug, but if it IS a bug, it's an awesome one.

So, I start out an adventurer with max sword skill and nothing else just for fun, but I noticed it started me out with a crappy copper sword and shield, and I didn't want to deal with a shield, so I went to the weapons shop to find a nice twohander.

The two handed sword they had was really nice but he wouldn't trade for my shield and sword, so I just stole it.

As I'm running out of town, semi-slowly due to being weighed down by all this metal,

A guard comes running after me, and I can't get away.  I tried talking to him, but he was in enemy mode so I couldn't.

So, I turn around, set my feet, and give him a good whack with my sword.  It gets embedded in the guards right hip.  I'm thinking about how bad it is to be face to face with a flail wielding guard so I step back to pull it out, but I lost possession of the sword.

So, I run around the guard, grab the sword, turn around to continue the fight, and lo and behold, Mr. Guard no longer wants to fight

He isn't a guard anymore.  He's a maceman.  I talk to him, and he happily joins my party.  ???  Is this a bug, or did I defeat him in battle so he surrendered and joined me?

As you can see, he's turned from a Guard into a Maceman, after I hit him.  There are no other NPC's around.  You can see that in the combat log, I hit the "GUARD" in the right hip, but in the other screenshot, you can see that the friendly maceman has a wound on his right hip.

Did he swear allegiance to me after being defeated?  Is this a bug?  Who cares!  He's my homie, now.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: The traitorous guard
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

Wow, man! Assuming that there're no more armored companions in game, you've found the best ally you could imagine. Save scum, but don't let him die.

That's a weird thing... I didn't know the creature can lose its "guard" tag, also I do not know how it actually works, because it's hardcoded, but it looks like the Bug of the Year. Report it please, Toady should be surprised.

P.S. Nice way to make companions.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Bug of the year?  More like unintended feature of the year.
Seriously though:
"Oh, he'll kill me..  Maybe I should try to join him instead of getting killed..."
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

Could it have something to do with the sword not being paid for, and now in the guard's inventory instead of yours?

I really have no idea, but that's all that springs to mind. Maybe the game thinks he stole it, and it kicked him out of the village's faction or what not.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>I really have no idea, but that's all that springs to mind. Maybe the game thinks he stole it, and it kicked him out of the village's faction or what not.</STRONG>

Actually, that may be the exact reason why. If you retire somewhere, find the Maceman's Legend entry and check if he became an enemy of his own City and Country.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

Or maybe he left the city zone?
Shoes...

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>Or maybe he left the city zone?</STRONG>

No, I was very close to the city, no more than 1 screenlength away

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

Oh, well, yeah, that sounds like it thought he stole the item then.
Shoes...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

So you're saying we all should be trying to get stolen weapons to stick into guards?
Awesome!  Time to go bully some guards with thrown stolen pikes and see what happens...  Hopefully it won't completely pierce him and instantly kill him...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »

Maybe the game thinks that he got the stolen merchandise back and removed the "find thief" task, but with him outside the city, reset his job designation?