Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disable tutorials (with a warning) on difficult embarks  (Read 865 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Disable tutorials (with a warning) on difficult embarks
« on: November 20, 2021, 08:15:48 pm »

In the recent interview with Blind you talked about tutorialization, and how the player choosing their embark complicates things. Not only are all embarks different from one another, but some embarks may not permit the normal tutorials at all, e.g. in a glacier the player won't be able to find any surface trees. It is not discussed in the video, but with mythgen, this should apply to an increasing amount of diverse biomes, should the player be able to embark on a continent made out of cloud-stuff they might not be able to mine any metals, nor would a fiery hellscape always have any non-burned trees (again).

Here are some ideas for mitigating the issue:

Instead of adjusting the tutorials to work with the more difficult biomes, by adjusting or turning each part off when they are not applicable (more difficult with procgen biomes), I suggest that some particularly unusual biomes should not allow/force tutorials. If the player still has tutorials turned on and select one of these biomes on embark, a warning should pop up, telling them it is a difficult biome which is not recommended for a first embark, and that as special methods must be used to survive in such a biome, as the basic tutorials can't cover them. I don't think this should be too disruptive, only a small minority of new players should want to immediately start in a more challenging biome, and they would still not be prohibited, only warned.

Another idea is to be able to hide tutorials you aren't interested in doing, or mark them as "completed" even when you haven't followed them through. This could be combined with the above, so you still get some tutorialization on a glacier, just with a warning that some of it might be wrong, and then when you realize which these are you can mark them as no longer relevant.