Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sentient weaponry, Modding questions  (Read 1138 times)

UtranT

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sentient weaponry, Modding questions
« on: September 28, 2021, 12:08:09 am »

Is it possible to make sentient weapons, whether it be through giving syndromes to an item or would you have to make whole creature with it's strange body to emulate a weapon?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:10:55 am by UtranT »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Sentient weaponry, Modding questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 01:27:27 am »

PTW.  (Weapons are distinct from creatures in the RAWs, but I'd love to hear an expert modder find a way around that.)

To my knowledge, all items can be used as weapons ("object user" skill) with a single default blunt attack.  The skill and sharpness of a weapon is defined in its attack, so getting that onto a vermin creature somehow should be good enough for adventure mode.  Fortress mode probably requires additional work to get the creature equipped, unless you want your sentient weapons to be the fortress' own babies.

UtranT

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 03:37:47 pm »

I understand that weapons are distinct from creatures in RAWs, so if my understanding is correct creating a limbless, (though I believe I would have to give it the [IMMOBILE] token so the sword don't run away), vermin creature with defined sharpness to it's attack would be the way to go?
And if I add [INTELLIGENT] and [CAN-LEARN] tokens to it would it able to do such while in my grasp?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 03:43:13 pm »

Sharpness isn't a token you can assign to creatures. Also, there isn't the framework in the game to account for attacking with a creature, only items or your own body parts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 04:56:22 pm »

Yeah, best you could do is a pet flying axe that hacks people on its own, no player control.

You could make it an item-corpse that leaves behind a masterwork axe or something, then once it dies you swing its "corpse" around because then it's literally an axe, not a corpse. But even if the creature has axe like properties and attacks in life, it would only serve as a blunt weapon in death.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

UtranT

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 05:47:04 pm »

So I am trying to add in an attack to a custom mega beast, using its fingers to stabs the opponent, however I assume this attack would be using all fingers and I wonder how would you make it able to attack with all fingers separate

Here is the attack:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can add more info on the creature and else about it if needed too