Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is This A Bug Or A Feature?  (Read 1161 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Is This A Bug Or A Feature?
« on: October 09, 2021, 05:10:24 am »

I literally decided to lower secret types in advanced world generator to 99 from 1000. In 50 years 2 civilizations developed 2 slabs. Actually one was destroyed very early on so another developed 2 and they were vanilla dwarves. I did dozens of attempts with secrets set to 1000 but they don't spawn.

Also tombs do show up even if I set amount of disturbances to 0.

I am also clearly sure that my world generation doesn't stop the moment a certain percentage of megabeasts die. I set it to 10% with 4 megabeast "caves" and no titans and started checking at year 2 but even if a bronze colossus gets slain at year 9 it goes to 50.

I can also play in adventure mode as intelligent wilderness creatures even though I set savagery to 0 on every single tile in advanced world gen.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 05:26:59 am by rico6822 »
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Is This A Bug Or A Feature?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 03:47:07 am »

Also tombs do show up even if I set amount of disturbances to 0.

The tombs are not cursed.  They're still filled with traps.

I am also clearly sure that my world generation doesn't stop the moment a certain percentage of megabeasts die. I set it to 10% with 4 megabeast "caves" and no titans and started checking at year 2 but even if a bronze colossus gets slain at year 9 it goes to 50.

I just tried it myself, and have the opposite problem.  No matter what i set (1% or 99%), it aborts as soon as the check year is reached.  This was done on Smaller worlds with two megabeasts (1 standard + 1 titan), both of which survive that point.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 04:58:54 am »

I just tried it myself, and have the opposite problem.  No matter what i set (1% or 99%), it aborts as soon as the check year is reached.  This was done on Smaller worlds with two megabeasts (1 standard + 1 titan), both of which survive that point.

Why is this game so drunk?
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 07:04:37 am »

Because you're sober and it doesn't want to play with you sober.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 08:07:52 pm »

Why is this game so drunk?
Because y'all forcing it to do things out of its comfort zone. If this code ever achieved sentience it would need some serious psychiatric counseling.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 09:38:54 pm »

Are semi-megabeasts included in the megabeast check? It doesn't make intuitive sense, but could account for the discrepancies you've described.

Because y'all forcing it to do things out of its comfort zone. If this code ever achieved sentience it would need some serious psychiatric counseling.

"Look what they did to my mermaids!"

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 08:18:28 am »

Are semi-megabeasts included in the megabeast check? It doesn't make intuitive sense, but could account for the discrepancies you've described.

Good question! I did some more testing and have found three possible outcomes (with default threshold of 80%):
  • There are plenty of megabeasts, some die, some survive, and the check does not occur during the test time.  The population of megabeasts never drops below 20% of their starting amount in any of the tests.
  • There are three or fewer powers (i.e. megabeasts + titans) in the world.  Even if not a single creature died yet, the megabeast stoppage occurs.
  • There are plenty of titans but only one or two megabeast in the world.  In two cases, as soon as the megabeast die, the megabeast stoppage occurs, even if semimegabeasts are still alive.  This suggests that the titans are ignored.  However, in a third case, the megabeast and three out of five titans died, yet the world kept going.  (At that point, I remembered about a raw mod that has a night troll producing semimegabeast spouses.  Said trolls didn't produce any semimegabeasts in the stoppage cases, but produced plenty in the last case.)

In conclusion, I am not sure if semimegabeasts matter.  Perhaps they only count as a fraction of a megabeast?  Regardless, I believe the "opposite problem" I had earlier was caused by having to few megabeasts/titans in the world to begin with, which seems to trigger stoppage anyways.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 03:43:15 pm »

Good question! I did some more testing and have found three possible outcomes (with default threshold of 80%):
  • There are plenty of megabeasts, some die, some survive, and the check does not occur during the test time.  The population of megabeasts never drops below 20% of their starting amount in any of the tests.
  • There are three or fewer powers (i.e. megabeasts + titans) in the world.  Even if not a single creature died yet, the megabeast stoppage occurs.
  • There are plenty of titans but only one or two megabeast in the world.  In two cases, as soon as the megabeast die, the megabeast stoppage occurs, even if semimegabeasts are still alive.  This suggests that the titans are ignored.  However, in a third case, the megabeast and three out of five titans died, yet the world kept going.  (At that point, I remembered about a raw mod that has a night troll producing semimegabeast spouses.  Said trolls didn't produce any semimegabeasts in the stoppage cases, but produced plenty in the last case.)

In conclusion, I am not sure if semimegabeasts matter.  Perhaps they only count as a fraction of a megabeast?  Regardless, I believe the "opposite problem" I had earlier was caused by having to few megabeasts/titans in the world to begin with, which seems to trigger stoppage anyways.

The world I created has no semi-megabeasts.