Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: First time adventure mode problems... GIANT SPIDERS  (Read 6350 times)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First time adventure mode problems... GIANT SPIDERS
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 07:31:00 am »

My VERY first adventurer on the latest release had its VERY first fight against a Giant Cave Spider.
He was a speardarf.
And he WON !

Here is how it went :
He entered, alone, the cave. After a few steps, he saw a naked mole dog, and I assume it saw my adventurer too because it fled. The brave dwarf ran after it, and discovered a great "S" at the corner.
Then the brave dwarf fled. As he turned the first corner, the spider shot web at the place he was a second before.
Then again at the second corner. And another FIVE times, he dodged the lethal webs.
He miraculously managed to reach the escape and return to the sun, with the spider 2 squares behind him (just after the last corner). Here is something weird, though.
The spider stopped chasing my adventurer as she was on the slope ! I mean, she was underground, at the very limit of the sunlight, and wouldn't go out!

My adventurer had already begun fleeing again hen he saw this. He waited some extra seconds, so as to be sure, and then got closer. The spider just wouldn't climb that slope! So my lionhearted speardwarf started hitting the spider, and after a few rounds, his spear ran through its head, poking both eyes and damaging brain!
Only then, the spider got out and died in the sunlight. She probably tried to kill desperately my adventurer, but didn't have time.

This is the first time I saw this (more, without any backups) !

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

The best GCS-kill I've ever had was on a swordsman who had been in a premade party.  They all scattered when the leader drowned(Peh...)  And I decided to try him out.  He went into a cave, killed like three Spiders, and then as one was coming up the tunnel at him, he hit it, split it from crown to chin, and launched it backward, where it hit a troglodyte and exploded.  Boom, headshot.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 12:15:00 am »

Well, I'm going to have to call upon the time I was playing an Elven archer in order to use a powerful bow and slightly less powerful wooden arows to projectile-kill me a Giant Cave Spider.

Didn't quite work that way.

What happened was all the arrows bounced off of Mr. Spidey's body (except for one that managed to bruise one of his legs.  Whoop-dee-freakin'-doo), and I was left running for my life.  Since arrow overpoweredness hadn't worked, I went for the other exploit.  Throwing.

I'd bought a bronze halberd in town (wasn't intending on keeping it, but ended up with it anyways), and decided that would probably be a better choice than the pebbles I'd snagged earlier.  I hurled the halberd with all my might, and was filled with triumph as it entered into the giant spider's guts and ripped every important innard that blighter had, and pierced its foul heart right through.

The smile of victory soon turned to a look of puzzlement, and then a frown of discontent as the spider proceeded to web me up, give me a nice bite of poison, and then ripped my head off.  He then stood over my body for a few moments before finally bleeding to death from a pierced heart.

That's the only time this version that I've killed one of the bastards, and I did it posthumously.

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 04:20:00 am »

Gentlemen I believe I'm on to something!

After losing ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh lets say about 20 adventurers last night I decided to make a sword 'n shield expert who relied on sneaking around big enemies and fighting tons of ambushes till he was really tough. After getting my agility to Perfect and becoming an Accomplished ambusher I decided to take on some quests. one of them happened to land me in a cave FULL OF GIANT CAVE SPIDERS! fair enough, losing is fun, but I noticed that he didn't spot me. Time to test the waters! Snuck up right beside him and tackled him, flipping him over and managing to hack off a leg and do serious damage with every swing and eventualy killing it! Sweet now I can get out! Wrong, take ten steps ran into another one, same thing happened almost same results. Killing one is lucky, two is ungodly, lets just say i'm up to about 20 GCS kills (only a couple did I die and feel the need to grab my backup file). Every time I sneak up on one I'm almost guarenteed to kill it face to face, the only real problem is when they spit webs! Even them some of them have bled to death while I was paralysed! OH SWEET VICTORY! I've even killed some by just grinding the sword into one of it's leg as it keeps missing blows with its others only to have me counter most of them!

[ February 22, 2008: Message edited by: Rawl ]

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:Yeah, if you see one and manage to kill it/get away, DO NOT go back that way. They often live in groups of 24, in my experience.

Fixed  :)

Seriously though, multiple sightings of giant cave spiders' have been in large numbers...and i can attest to that personally... *shudders*..

Crossbowing and sneaking is the way to go. I took out several "legendary" giant cave spiders with a few bolts while sneaking. I didnt feel proud about it, but i had to swallow my principles in order to beat them. Really, ive never seen anyone successfully bring down a giant cave spider without sneaking, or some other devious method, and not lose many soldiers in the process.

On a side note, when i was taking the legendary giant cave spiders out, it was on a dwarf whom had the last name "Armwounds", and when i first saw this, i thought it was a bad omen, and ironically, when i killed them, it wasnt before piercing several of their legs first. Double irony, i was finally killed by an Iron Man, of all things, and still, not before he broke or mangled all of my limbs  :)

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

Build a fortress.  Wait for a legendary armorer.  Create several sets of masterpiece steel armor.  Abandon.  Go back in adventure mode.  Suit up.

This will raise your chance of killing a GCS from 1% to 3%.  :)

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 12:48:00 am »

Finally tried adventurer mode. Almost mauled by a cougar but I beat him to death with my crossbow. Then I get a quest to kill a minotaur. No chance in hell but I can kill his weak companions, right? Nailed an ironman by kiting, stepped further into the dungeon... S. I press a key to run. In an instant I get webbed, every limb is ripped off my body, and I die.

Losing is fun, when you see it coming.  :eek:

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 01:15:00 am »

So do people want them weaker? Less common? Or kept the same like...

>>

<<

*the carp*...

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 02:49:00 am »

Speaking of fecking hellfired buggering carp, I finally located my abandoned fortress and was just trying to tackle the issue of crossing the river, when a carp pulled me in. I easily hacked it to bits but I was stuck in the river with no way out. That makes about 8 blokes killed trying to get into my fort so far.
Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 03:49:00 am »

Who wants me to make a mod that replaces ALL WILDLIFE CREATURES with GCS? Yeah, not for the faint of heart.
Pages: 1 2 [3]