Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing as a "random-already existing-historical figure" in Adventurer mode  (Read 1002 times)

rzurzu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi there, first post ever, so I am sorry if this has ever been mentioned before...

So, the idea is to introduce a "reincarnation*" mechanic in Adventure Mode, of course for player controlled character only.
*edit: reincarnation here meaning only taking control of a completely random and already existing npc, not carrying over anything at all from the previously controlled character.

How would this work?
Upon death of his/her character, player does not need to create a new one. Instead, the player takes control over a random (playable race) NPC and plays as that character until its death. The player then receives a prompt if they want to take over another NPC or create a new character. If they chose option A, they are given a summary of this new character (maybe pulled from Legends mode?) and that is it, that's the new you, go and explore. No "3 too choose from". Random. No mercy.

Example?
You were a dwarf demigod, slayer of kobolds. After you die your valiant death you get randomly reincarnated as.. one of the kobolds you were after. Or maybe even the very same who has killed you? Although probability of that happening would be near impossible, it'd be so much more amazing when it eventually does happen :)

What would this be for? Well, it would help experience and shape your world from different perspectives. "But this can already be done!" you say, so I say: no, you always start fresh, new, no real history to your character until you forge it yourself. You get to choose, you introduce a new being into the world, not take control of someone/something already being a part of it.

Who would this be for? Players like myself who spend so much time reading Legends Mode, thinking "oh how nice would it be to get there with my character" but never get there with my character. And I get overwhelmed by number of possibilities when creating a new character, sometimes.

Will I cry if this is not implemented? Just a little.

So, that is the rough idea. Thanks for reading :)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:10:05 am by rzurzu »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Reincarnation in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 08:45:15 am »

I think reincarnation has been mentioned as a possibility somewhere (maybe in the analysis of one of Threetoe's stories) but it's still useful to have suggestions on ways to flesh it out since I don't think it's been talked about in much detail so far. Welcome to the forums, by the way!
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 08:46:59 am »

DFHack has a command unretire-anyone that would allow you do do this already. Of course you’ll have to do some legends mode digging to find the name of the kobold or whatever you become next. But you already said this was for people who like to dig around in legends mode.

I agree it would be cool to add to the game as a feature. But, you don’t have to wait!

rzurzu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 01:20:59 pm »

DFHack has a command unretire-anyone that would allow you do do this already. Of course you’ll have to do some legends mode digging to find the name of the kobold or whatever you become next. But you already said this was for people who like to dig around in legends mode.

I agree it would be cool to add to the game as a feature. But, you don’t have to wait!

thanks for the advice! much appreciated :)

the most important part of my idea and I guess the most enjoyable one, if implemented, would be the randomness, the unpredictability of what are you are to become in next life. Unretiring would necessarily involve knowing first who I want to unretire, so there would be no surprise. Hmmm... unless I would only choose a name I like, not knowing who or what that is... hmmm...

a very valuable advice, thanks again :)

rzurzu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 01:43:19 pm »

I think reincarnation has been mentioned as a possibility somewhere (maybe in the analysis of one of Threetoe's stories) but it's still useful to have suggestions on ways to flesh it out since I don't think it's been talked about in much detail so far. Welcome to the forums, by the way!

thanks for replying! And thanks for the warm welcome :)

I've suggested it as, I think, it wouldn't be too difficult to implement (or would it?). And I really only mean doing this for Adventurer mode, because it would make sense only for player controlled character(s). Just a simple screen after your character dies (mine do quite often), giving a choice of:

1. Main menu
2. Create new character (so you get redirected straight to character creation)
3. Continue as a completely random character that already exists in the world, with all their stats, position, children, etc. Basically roleplay as them to add the inevitably last chapter to their life

I guess for a tiny world with short history, and relatively small number of characters, it would add a whole new level for the game to be experienced at in Adventurer mode. I'm not sure what the challenges to implement it would be. Maybe there is something in DF that would render it impossible, still, a suggestion :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 05:24:29 pm »

It's not impossible per say, but if you reincarnated into someone who is already a historical figure, the game would have to edit their historical ID to introduce the skills, personality etc of your adventurer, which will probably cause a lot of bugs the first release. Could certainly reroll into a new individual that's not a historical figure up until that point. But yeah, possession sounds more prompt than reincarnation for this idea.

Reincarnation was actually discussed in the past as a possible starting scenario, whenever those get worked on again. Probably during the myth and magic arc, as it would also tie in with afterlife and planes of the dead and so on. Reincarnation would involve being born again, which would need the world to go back into a worldgen like state for ~12 years while your kid grows up.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

rzurzu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 02:27:24 am »

It's not impossible per say, but if you reincarnated into someone who is already a historical figure, the game would have to edit their historical ID to introduce the skills, personality etc of your adventurer, which will probably cause a lot of bugs the first release. Could certainly reroll into a new individual that's not a historical figure up until that point. But yeah, possession sounds more prompt than reincarnation for this idea.

Reincarnation was actually discussed in the past as a possible starting scenario, whenever those get worked on again. Probably during the myth and magic arc, as it would also tie in with afterlife and planes of the dead and so on. Reincarnation would involve being born again, which would need the world to go back into a worldgen like state for ~12 years while your kid grows up.

I thought the historical figures already had their own skills (like in the video below, around 2:50), not sure about personality, though I'm pretty sure what constitutes a personality is already simulated more or less in all DF modes
https://youtu.be/alMtYUifgsA?t=168

Ok, we can drop the "reincarnation" or "possession" and instead call it what it is: playing as a random - already existing - historical figure :)
Shouldn't have used the word "reincarnation" since I guess it did not carry the meaning I've intended (which is very simple really).

How do I change the title of this thread now, so it's not misleading anymore? :) 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 03:32:19 am »

Make an edit to the first post and change the title, then save it.

Also, I totally thought you meant inserting your dead adventurers personality and skills into a historical figure, not just taking over and playing as one at random without changing them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

rzurzu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 08:10:56 am »

Make an edit to the first post and change the title, then save it.

Also, I totally thought you meant inserting your dead adventurers personality and skills into a historical figure, not just taking over and playing as one at random without changing them.

thanks, and done! I hope it is bit more clear now :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:13:06 am by rzurzu »