Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Graphics Maker has So Many Questions  (Read 1514 times)

moosethelesser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New Graphics Maker has So Many Questions
« on: July 04, 2021, 10:34:18 pm »

Hi Everyone!  I'm new to this, and I'm starting to make a graphics pack, and I have a few questions.  I'm just working with vanilla DF currently.

1.  Does vanilla DF support transparent graphics?  If so, is that like an option I click on?

2.  Is there a reason no one makes graphics for corpses?  I looked through a few graphics sets, and I didn't see any.  Is it the transparency thing?

3.  Is there a place I can consistently see how my specific professions/child graphics look in-game?  Is that a setting in the object testing arena?

4.  I'm getting an issue where what I named [ALPACA] in my graphics.txt file shows up as a llama in object testing arena?  I'll put my raw folder in for smarter humans/dwarves to help with.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hqackg0qy8ju17k/AADzn2OZgsCKt-ba3Bw5UDl2a?dl=0

Thank you ever so much for your help!  If you would like anything else from me (whole save file, address, bank info, SSN) let me know!

Ready, Willing, and Vaguely Competent

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics Maker has So Many Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 04:44:17 am »

I dont graphic design personallly but i can try to answer some of these questions in a broad sense, you'd still need a fulltime spriter like meph or Vordak to answer indepth though.
1.  Does vanilla DF support transparent graphics?  If so, is that like an option I click on?

Ehh, this is a bit of a wibbly wobbly question, but much of the transparency stuff is handled by TWBT (text will be text) plugin for DFhack and is Mephs area of expertise. Some of the main benefits of TWBT is that it has multizlevel view and can handle more advanced graphical tasks such as choosing palletes based on optional triggerable things, like the material a object is made out of from a spritesheet.

It's often packaged seperate or together with mods, if you it'd be recommended to have a build of DFhack where its pre-installed.
2.  Is there a reason no one makes graphics for corpses?  I looked through a few graphics sets, and I didn't see any.  Is it the transparency thing?

Meph did supply some corpse sprites but its subjective, as DF is a internationally distributed game there are different restrictions worldwide on how much detail corpses can have, and im not sure corpses can be modified at the creature level but it would be a time consuming task to do 1:1 per creature, but zombie states is a similar endevour.

3.  Is there a place I can consistently see how my specific professions/child graphics look in-game?  Is that a setting in the object testing arena?

Arena can manifest most things, especially if you write a dummy version of said creatures for your private build that gets around any such restrictions by modding the creatures a bit since most creatures below ground are implicitly obscured or secret and a few other generated ones can only be seen in the generated world instance. It'd be the fastest way upon loadup, without collecting user feedback or playing the game yourself for a length of time to see everything in offer from adventure/fort mode.

4.  I'm getting an issue where what I named [ALPACA] in my graphics.txt file shows up as a llama in object testing arena?  I'll put my raw folder in for smarter humans/dwarves to help with.

I cant help you with that im afraid explicitly, but i theorize the graphics might require the same ordering as creature_domestic, since you've swapped the RAW positions in graphics to put the alpaca above the llama. The yak might also look like a llama, and so would the duck, etc so on and so forth.

Dropbox seems to be pretty neat for peer-to-peer checking this over for you but you can also put the collected work up on the DFFD (Dwarf Fortress File Depot), which most forum users trust as a means to distribute it when its ready to roll out with a little bit of presentation inside the graphics sub-forum too

moosethelesser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 09:31:14 am »

Ehh, this is a bit of a wibbly wobbly question, but much of the transparency stuff is handled by TWBT (text will be text) plugin for DFhack and is Mephs area of expertise. Some of the main benefits of TWBT is that it has multizlevel view and can handle more advanced graphical tasks such as choosing palletes based on optional triggerable things, like the material a object is made out of from a spritesheet.

It's often packaged seperate or together with mods, if you it'd be recommended to have a build of DFhack where its pre-installed.

Ok, that's about what I expected.  I haven't messed around with DFHack for anything other than quick testing of modded play.  I might dip into it later, but I'll probably just stick with vanilla for now. 

Arena can manifest most things, especially if you write a dummy version of said creatures for your private build that gets around any such restrictions by modding the creatures a bit since most creatures below ground are implicitly obscured or secret and a few other generated ones can only be seen in the generated world instance. It'd be the fastest way upon loadup, without collecting user feedback or playing the game yourself for a length of time to see everything in offer from adventure/fort mode.

Very cool.  How would one do that?  Would you create a "dummy" creature in the objects file and spawn that in the OTA?

I cant help you with that im afraid explicitly, but i theorize the graphics might require the same ordering as creature_domestic, since you've swapped the RAW positions in graphics to put the alpaca above the llama. The yak might also look like a llama, and so would the duck, etc so on and so forth.

Dropbox seems to be pretty neat for peer-to-peer checking this over for you but you can also put the collected work up on the DFFD (Dwarf Fortress File Depot), which most forum users trust as a means to distribute it when its ready to roll out with a little bit of presentation inside the graphics sub-forum too

Thanks for your help!  I'll look into changing the order around a bit.  And I'll put files on DFFD when I'm ready, which probably won't be for a long time.  Cheers!
Ready, Willing, and Vaguely Competent

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 11:06:12 am »

Very cool.  How would one do that?  Would you create a "dummy" creature in the objects file and spawn that in the OTA?

Removing tokens related to [ARENA_RESTRICTED] would be a start, including most subterrenean monsters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 06:40:04 pm »

No
You cannot make graphics for corpses because you cannot make graphics for items and that's why nobody does
Not really, just play in fortress mode I guess?