Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nonsilenti Universi - A SciFi Fantasy Evolutionary Council-based PvEvP Team Game  (Read 824 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Discord Link
Enlightener's Thread
Uplifter's Thread

The universe is a vast place, one full of infinite dangers and opportunities. One of these dangerous opportunities comes in the form of life, and one solar system happens to have two planets showing signs of it. But this life is as of yet undefined - same with the planets! It will be up to you to guide one of these two planets from formation to abiogenesis, through evolution, and onward! After you choose your team - either The Uplifters or The Enlighteners - you and your fellow guardians will be faced with a series of prompts covering hurdles or advancements that will define a period of time for your planet and the species upon it.

Players can propose solutions to prompts in their team's threads and can attempt to tackle them in any way they see fit. Military, scientific, cultural, and diplomatic solutions are all viable, and will shape the planet and it's inhabitants accordingly. Each team will be responsible for voting on one proposal to choose as their advancement using a votebox similar to the one below:
Quote from: Votebox
Ideas:
Good: (4) Bill, Ted, Grilled, Cheese
Bad: (2) Jesse, James
Ugly: (2) Your, Name

As this is a game, I will act as the Will of the Universe and will be rolling 2d6 in order to determine just how effective and beneficial the changes the proposal end up. The result for the proposal is better as the roll gets higher, with the most dramatic results at the extreme ends of the dice pool. While rolling from a 3 to an 11 will usually provide a small evolutionary, technological, or magical advancement, rolling a 12 is how your planet's life advances to it's next stage. That advancement becomes a massively defining characteristic in the ascension of the species as they leap forward. However in order to balance that, a team stuck in earlier stages of development will get progressively higher chances to advance as well. (This is why, in order to preserve secrecy between sides as much as possible, the rolls themselves will be kept behind the scenes.)

At the other end of the spectrum, rolling a 2 on the 2d6 results in a Mass Extinction Event. Every prompt that immediately follows a Mass Extinction will allow you to decide if and how your primary species survives, or what it gets replaced by as the clock gets set back a good bit regardless.

The end goal of the game is to have the two different teams come into contact in some way, shape, or form. Once that occurs, their timelines get sync'd up and we enter the Endgame. The Endgame will be defined by the interactions of your two planet's species in whatever form they're in at that time as they attempt to outlast one another against themselves, and perhaps some other threats.

While the Endgame may end up dramatically one-sided, we can't know for sure what awaits us until we start looking. And who knows, there's always a risk of a Mass Extinction Event...

Please state in this thread which team you are joining, then head over to that thread (linked above), join the Discord server (if you want, also linked above), and get started! Your first prompt is waiting for you! And remember to resist the temptation to look into the other team's thread!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Enlighteners
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile

Uplifter shall be my team.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile

I think I'll join the Enlighteners, please.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

I posted in Enlightened before I found that this was an Arms Race type thing, so I’m in Enlightened

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

will uplifter
eventually

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile

Uplifters let us ascend!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:26:06 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Mercur

• Bay Watcher
  • Your average spheroid
    • View Profile

I would be the enlighteners

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forgot to put a post in here. Joined enlighteners a while ago
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First updates have been posted in the team threads, but we're still in need of some players. There's no close or deadline for joining a team, so don't be shy. Or else.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Guess I'll join the Uplifters.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's recently been another update, and now the teams are discussing what their first form of life will be! And they could always use more people! If you're not sure what team you want to join, the teams can decide what information they're willing to share about their planet so far. While I'm going to be maintaining maximum operational security, I won't stop youse from sharing whatever information you want your rivals to have.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile

Also: we have a Discord server. There's a number of you guys who are in teams but not in the server, and a lot of stuff could be discussed much more quickly if everybody's there.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile

Enlighteners