Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer Became Permanently Slower  (Read 1633 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Adventurer Became Permanently Slower
« on: July 24, 2021, 12:28:23 am »

I gave him a personality to prevent being alcohol dependant, he is necromancer and a werebeast. When I completed my transformation and returned to human form I was still slower. I don't see any need for alcohol in his needs screen. He killed over 2500 sapients I think.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Became Permanently Slower
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 01:07:58 am »

Having too much strength (= muscle mass) can slow you down. Did you gain a bunch of strength?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 01:12:11 am »

Having too much strength (= muscle mass) can slow you down. Did you gain a bunch of strength?

Strength actually grants faster movement because a character pushes themselves of the ground with higher knockback. Slowdown happened long after achieving max strength.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 05:55:44 am »

Alcohol dependency occurs in dwarves regardless of their personality. It is a biological fact. (Technically, it is a token in their RAW definition.)

I don't think humans can ever get that kind of alcohol dependency.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 08:22:22 am »

Alcohol dependency occurs in dwarves regardless of their personality. It is a biological fact. (Technically, it is a token in their RAW definition.)

I don't think humans can ever get that kind of alcohol dependency.
Oh, but they can - if they observe enough violence during combat, they will gain the trait "doesn't really care about anything anymore" and become an alcoholic.
Fun fact: this has actually been part of the game since its first release nearly 15 years ago.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 08:53:28 am »

Oh, but they can - if they observe enough violence during combat, they will gain the trait "doesn't really care about anything anymore" and become an alcoholic.
Fun fact: this has actually been part of the game since its first release nearly 15 years ago.

The more you know *sparkle sparkle*

Do non-dwarven alcoholics also show complaints about "starting to work slow" and "can't remember the last time (s)he had any"? If so, that would allow Rico for an easy diagnosis (by opening the [z]status and [d]escription).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 09:21:42 am »

The more you know *sparkle sparkle*

Do non-dwarven alcoholics also show complaints about "starting to work slow" and "can't remember the last time (s)he had any"? If so, that would allow Rico for an easy diagnosis (by opening the [z]status and [d]escription).
I'm fairly certain that creatures which have reached that state will also be described as "needs alcohol to get through the working day" along with all of the extra bits about the current severity.

Edit: So, disregard everything I said above - apparently, fully combat-hardened creatures becoming alcoholics was removed in version 0.44.06.
Interestingly, the release notes say "Stopped animals from developing need for alcohol after experiencing trauma", but it was actually removed from all creatures - a CAN_LEARN check was added for accumulating combat hardness, but the logic for applying alcoholism once it reached 100 was removed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:24:51 am by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 03:56:18 pm »

Interestingly, the release notes say "Stopped animals from developing need for alcohol after experiencing trauma"

Off-topic, but was this the same fix when animals were stopped from worshipping deities and forming grudges among other weird stuff?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 06:59:49 pm »

Heh. I miss the time when my entire animal population, including the aviary, every guineahen, duck and goose, every goat, mule and wombat, would all troop down to the temple when it was first established, and "consecrate" it with a barnyard feel.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 10:26:54 pm »

Interestingly, the release notes say "Stopped animals from developing need for alcohol after experiencing trauma"

Off-topic, but was this the same fix when animals were stopped from worshipping deities and forming grudges among other weird stuff?
Yes, it was that exact same release. We should probably ask Toady if he really intended to remove PTSD-induced alcoholism from all creatures, not just animals.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 01:16:59 am »

So basically I may need to drink alcohol anyway beside of a bug fix. This sucks.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 09:43:50 am »

There seems to be a bug with adventurers becoming slower after transformation' regardless of alcohol dependency' I think. I've had this happen with the 'turned into an animal for a week' curse from a die. Don't have any more profound information on this though.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 10:04:54 am »

There seems to be a bug with adventurers becoming slower after transformation' regardless of alcohol dependency' I think. I've had this happen with the 'turned into an animal for a week' curse from a die. Don't have any more profound information on this though.

Any animals with meanderer within that selection? It could be a issue in dispelling the effect.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 10:43:25 am »

Any animals with meanderer within that selection? It could be a issue in dispelling the effect.
It definitely happened with creatures without this tag' which makes me think the problem lies elsewhere. I'd've said it could be correlated with size' as retransforming from a caoti made me slower' while from a giant ocelot didn't; but since werebeasts are generally pretty large' that also seems not to be the case.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 03:42:09 am »

He became slower before transforming few days before full moon.