Me
- 3 (20%)
Traditional Gods
- 1 (6.7%)
Other
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)  (Read 15745 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)
« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2021, 12:35:03 am »

Did you see any of the caveman's stuff held together with rope, if you did you might be able to find out from them what local plants can be used to make rope.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 24, 2021, 01:18:43 am »

Alright, I’m going to tell you how to make ground stone tools.  These tools are much less prone to breaking than knapped tools (even if they aren’t as sharp).

Go down to the river and look for some rocks.  You’ll be looking for something about the size of the tool that you want to make (e.g. an axe head) made out of basalt, rhyolite, granite, or other cryptocrystaline or igneous rock.  Look for rocks that have been rounded and smoothed by the river and have approximately the shape you want.

Here’s some basalt:

Spoiler: Basalt (click to show/hide)

Some rhyolite:

Spoiler: Rhyolite (click to show/hide)

And some granite:

Spoiler: Granite (click to show/hide)

In addition, I think you can also use chert or flint (you should already know what those look like).

Next, you need to find a large stone of similar type with a flat surface. This stone should be in the river (or you should move it there), and it’s upper surface should be rough and out of the water.  It should also be of a suitable height that you can use it while sitting in the river.

Sit down beside it with the stone you want to grind.  Holding the tool stone in one of your hands, dip your other hand underwater, use your fingers to dig through any pebbles, and bring up a handful of sand.  Place the sand on the big rock, and smooth it out with your hand.  While doing so, try to brush away any particularly large bits (you want a nice even layer of sand grains that are the same size as each other.

Next, say you want to put a chisel edge on an axe or chisel.  Hold your tool stone in such away that the edge you want to sharpen is at an angle to the larger stone, and rub it back and forth across the larger stone with the sand in between, as you press down firmly.  Repeat until the tool stone is the shape you want (you’ll need to turn the tool over to do the other side of the chisel edge.  Along the way, your going to need to periodically wash your tool stone, and apply new sand to the larger stone.

Congratulations on your new tool.  If you made an ax head, you can use it in your hand to chop down small trees, assuming you don’t mind ruining your hands.  If you want to use it on larger trees (or if you just don’t want to ruin your hands), you can haft it.  For that, your going to need some wood and some cordage, and you’ll need to peck and grind a groove in your tool.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 24, 2021, 11:24:36 pm »

Hey?  You dead?  I’m still waiting for you to tell me more about those trees…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2021, 04:52:53 am »

The phone probably died and the cavemen ate him.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 25, 2021, 10:00:48 pm »

Probably bored him to death
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]