Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If Dodging Increases Fighter Skill Does Fighter Help Dodging Attacks?  (Read 944 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile

On wiki it says that fighter only increases chance to hit with weapons. I noticed it includes punching and kicking too. Does that mean it also makes better dodge rolls?
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

I believe it doesn't, and know that it isn't uncommon for players to give their starting dwarves a couple extra points in fighter for this reason. Better fighters hit more often, meaning armor skills and dodging experience will go up for their sparring partner. If it increased dodge rates, that'd be counter-productive to quickly training dwarves.

Not impossible, but that's what I'd think. You could perhaps test this in arena by having some dwarves with fighter skills trying to dodge bolts from enemies out of reach.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

On wiki it says that fighter only increases chance to hit with weapons. I noticed it includes punching and kicking too. Does that mean it also makes better dodge rolls?
No.

Why? You can test in the arena: dwarf 1 (side 1) v dwarf 2 (side 2). AI controls dwarf 1, you control dwarf 2.

Setup 1 is you give both dwarves only grandmaster dodger.
Wait for dwarf 1 to attack you. The combat menu will show:
a- Strike
b- Wrestle
c- Dodge (Grandmaster)

Setup 2 is you give both dwarves only grandmaster fighter.
Wait for dwarf 1 to attack you. The combat menu will show:
a- Strike
b- Wrestle
c- Dodge (Dabbling)

While grandmaster fighter skill level can buff a dabbling weapon skill's parry by 3 levels to competent, which can be seen in the combat menu, it does not do anything for dodger. Hope the reply is useful.