Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor control issue  (Read 1247 times)

Dwarvenhospitality

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Minor control issue
« on: May 09, 2021, 11:58:27 pm »

Hello!

I have a very minor control issue that doesn't necessarily affect gameplay, but one that I find so strange I'd like to know what's going on. I complained about this on Reddit earlier, but didn't get much of a response, so I thought I'd try here.

Basically my problem is that shift+numpad 5 no longer works. Shift+ controls with any other button work, and if I press numpad 5 before shift it moves me up a z-level as intended. It used to work until recently and there's absolutely no other problem. I'm playing with LPN, which I've also redownloaded with the problem persisting, so I assume it's not a problem with the game. Does anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:09:00 am by Dwarvenhospitality »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minor control issue
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 04:00:35 am »

I've had similar problems with shift+numpad comparatively recently (started during 0.47.04, I think) resulting in defining areas (digging, stockpiles, etc.) in 10 step increments don't really work (pressing shift while a num pad key is already pressed causes a jump, but that's basically useless). I'm using LNP as well (and thus, obviously, Windoze), but it also happens without LNP and without DFHack (using an installation of DF I use to try DFHack I tried both with DFHack enabled and without it, and both behave the same). Thus, I suspect a Windoze update broke it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 06:26:28 pm »

My z-level control is < and >, and I don't use a numberpad keyboard all that often, but perhaps you changed your key bindings? Try changing the control to something else in the key bindings, then changing it back to what you want it to be, and see if that fixes the problem.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 09:45:11 pm »

Does it work with non-numpad numbers? I'm having an issue where just the numpad ignores shift, though it might just be an issue with my laptop.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 02:27:47 am »

Does it work with non-numpad numbers? I'm having an issue where just the numpad ignores shift, though it might just be an issue with my laptop.
That was a very good question!

It prompted me to test with the regular number keys, and yes, it did actually work (I didn't expect that, as I'm not using a US keyboard, and thus the shifted keys aren't the same). I then went back to the numpad, which, unsurprisingly, still didn't work properly. I then DISABLED the num lock, after which the numpad did actually start to work properly, both with shifted and non shifted numbers (I've encountered cases in the past where games wouldn't pick up numpad keys unless the num lock was engaged, so this is the first case I've seen where disabling it is useful). I didn't test other numpad functions beyond the number for movement, though...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 07:11:27 am »

If you disable the NumLock, then the NumPad acts (at least cardinally) as a secondary set of CursorKeys. If the diagonals (which in this mode are copies of PageUp/Down, Home and End, yes?) and the '5' in the centre (not entirely sure what that is a duplicate of, if anything, until I get back to an actual physical keyboard) are working then they obviously get 'caught' by the keybindings. Maybe differently from Shift+<PageUpthe 'real' one in the dedicated 6-key block>, but that'd be an interesting test to try, too.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Keybindings are intended to treat NumPad numbers the same whether NumLocked or unNumLocked (with possible mode-driven exceptions when digits are actually useful, like when setting suitably numeric worldgen parameters), for your convenience. Because I know I rarely deliberately toggle NumLock for any reason. When I do, it's for software that does distinguish (passively or actively) and the problem is as obvious as CapsLock is if it's accidentally (un)toggled. For much of my keyboard time, though, it's as unimportant as ScrollLock[1] and it only gets toggled by an accident of typing, manhandling or dropping something on the keyboard. Which I'll not realise until and unless the status of it starts to matter again.

But then whatever it was that allowed the NumPad-as-numbers to be a copy of NumPad-as-cursors has been messed up in a way that you're (among) the first to detect/mention the newly emergent re-inconsistency of purpose to which the keys get put.

But this is just my immediate thoughts, and might need further checking. Perhaps comparisons of older DF versions and checking the respective keybindings (which I've never really messed with myself) are or are not consistently defined. Maybe it's instead some rather sneaky (but unintended) OS update that flipped a keyboard driver behaviour while sorting something else out, but good luck in trying to establish that. Never mind reverting it.

(If I understand properly what is and isn't happening at the moment, for you, and remembering what my own experiences are - of never actually being bothered by wrongly-locked keyboards - without immediate testing of my own. Which won't be LNP anyway, if that's a factor at all.)

[1] I can think of two or three actual interfaces where scroll-toggling is actually respected by the system, and I use the distinct AltGr functionality much much more.

Dwarvenhospitality

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 10:40:56 am »

It works with non-numpad numbers. Also, the control is mapped. Interestingly though, if I remove the mapping and try to map it again to shift+numpad 5 it maps it to numpad 5, ignoring the shift. This also only affects the combination shift+numpad 5.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 02:45:29 am »

I then DISABLED the num lock, after which the numpad did actually start to work properly,

Same for me.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?