Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping Items  (Read 1253 times)

Quetz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dumping Items
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

I can't figure out how to dump garbage items. I have designated a garbage dump next to a channel with lava and selected some rotten clothes and other random items with D. What am I doing wrong? Some of this stuff has been designated for dumping for over an in game year.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
Re: Dumping Items
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

As long as you have zoned a dump by hitting: "i", hit enter, enter, then activated the dump by hitting "g" your dwarves should be dumping away.

Also, make sure items you are trying to dump are not forbidden.

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: Run Comrades ]

Quetz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

None of the items i have are forbidden.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

A lot of the time, your dwarves won't want to dump clothes that you see strewn about on the ground randomly. This happens fairly often (especially in barracks or other areas where dwarves will be losing garments a lot). The reason behind this is, as close as I can figure, that the dwarves still consider these items to be 'owned' and therefore will not throw them away.

Quetz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:47:00 am »

I found out if i select the items from the stocks menu they are dumped, but if i just select them on the ground and choose dump they aren't touched.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 12:27:17 pm »

I had this happen rather randomly in my last game, actually...got lots of animals off the elves in wooden cages, but had no use for the cages afterwards. Let the animals loose from the cages, then set them to be dumped and made a dump site beside a nearby magma pipe......and they wouldn't pick up the cages. I undesignated them and got rid of the dump site. A few goblin snatchers decided to crash the party when the humans were around. Set up a dump site by the magma again and got them to dump the goblin chunks that were lying around (and the roach/rat/whatever remains that were in the refuse pile while they were at it). Saw they were dumping those, so set them to dump the cages again and this time they did it :)

No idea why it didn't work the first time, though :(
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.