Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civil war.. what?  (Read 1028 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civil war.. what?
« on: March 08, 2021, 05:20:56 am »

Does anyone know why when i target poets and shit my entire fortress goes berserk and kills eachother? Like they target seemingly randomely and just beat eachother to death.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civil war.. what?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 05:37:06 am »

I know its stupid of me to ask this now, a veteran of the game since like 2009... I should know my shit by now, but I just never got around to asking this even though iv experienced it in the past and my only take away was "Well shit.. better not do that again" but i never thought to ask.. why? What is happening here, it almost seems like a bug since i can see no reason for my fortress to turn on eachother seemingly at random with no rhyme or reason to there madness, even other soldiers attack each other, civilians attack eachother, like theres no logical reason as far as i can tell who targets who and for what reason.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 05:51:02 am »

When you attack a member your civ, like a merchant, a poet (some of them) or a werebeast transformed back into a regular citizen, the slayer gets marked as an enemy of the civ, friend of my friend is my enemy logic in the coding makes every one of your dwarves both an enemy of your civ and a member of your civ. Result - everyone kills each other.

These days loyalty cascades stop after a while because lots of failsafes have been added over time. But the principle remains.

And, hmm, yeah, it is a bug really. Naturally over time development will reach a point when you can rebel against your civ, and therefore kill all the merchants and poets you like. But right now that's not a thing, so it falls back into loyalty cascade logic.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 05:53:41 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 07:59:30 am »

You can often kill random visitors to your taverns with your militia. However, if they've made friends with some of your dorfs OR some of the other visitors (visitors return again and again and belong to a limited pool, and thus can build up friendship over several visits) the "normal" logic to jump in to defend friends can kick in. Once one friend has joined the visitor's cause their friends are then drawn into it if they're close enough to see it (which is a good reason to have lockable doors to and in the tavern), and once there it just snowballs until one side has won by killing everyone on the other side (in the case of a locked tavern the fight can be contained within the tavern, so even if there are people outside that would have joined in, they won't of the fight has ended before they can do so). This can happen when the original visitor doesn't belong to your civ, including when it's a goblin civ spy (from a performance troupe).

On top of that you have the civ logic Shonai_Dweller mentioned.

It can be noted that this can also happen spontaneously when disagreements escalate into no-quarter battles.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 04:09:03 pm »

Odd to think you are watching a loyalty cascade directly after asking about how to cause your dorfs to attack a civilian...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!