Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [MINOR_DEMON] & [BIOME:UNDERWORLD] tokens for fire imps  (Read 579 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[MINOR_DEMON] & [BIOME:UNDERWORLD] tokens for fire imps
« on: February 10, 2021, 06:50:51 pm »

Like how [NOT_LIVING] creates neutral conditions for [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] zombies, while [CANNOT_UNDEAD] undoes this work they both have a effect on the undead group as a whole for players to tinker with as they please to create a desirable behavioural effect.

Jumping to the topic, Fire imps are generally rejected by their demonic peers because while they are made of the same kind of supernatural infernality, currently they can't afford to be listed as a [DEMON] to set them on "freindly" terms with their kin for fear that they would become inaccessible and also a very underwhelming welcoming party, despite perhaps appearing as ultra-aggressive but manageable wildlife.

To stop their larger cousins flying into a "unnessecary" frenzy on spotting them i suggest it'd be good if we could add this suggested [MINOR_DEMON] token to the creature definition instead -a choice selection of monsters, including goblins could carry this token not that it would change the response of demons to civilized entities if intruded. Additionally [BIOME:UNDERWORLD] would help crease out a distinction that [MINOR_DEMON]'s are not strictly bound to the underworld and may end up manifesting either in evil sphere affected biomes or mundane areas like the fire imps current hideout spot in the magma sea.
  • In all other cases, minor demons are treated like normal animals and for elaboration, tolerated in the presence of demons where appropriate.
Expanded uses for [MINOR_DEMON]

- Minor demons with any relevant animal-training tokens will rise to the surface along with their infernal masters during a mining disaster, serving directly as steeds, war beasts or just general companions to the sentient races or demons themselves.

- Sentient underworld races like native [BIOME:UNDERWORLD] goblins join demons when they rise up to the surface *Instead* of choosing evil nations creatures indiscrimately.

- You could randomly summon minor demons via a interaction for reliablilty by filtering its minor_demon token through the interaction, going as far to get a small handful of different types at a time without being over-specific.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:55:36 pm by FantasticDorf »

JAL28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MINOR_DEMON] & [BIOME:UNDERWORLD] tokens for fire imps
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 06:56:42 pm »

As a variation of this idea, lesser demons instead of just fire imps

Fire imps don’t feel like a underworld worthy creature, though I guess lesser demons would be imp-like or take the forms of smaller creatures like vermin, though randomly generated too.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 04:17:59 am »

I would like to see more expansion of the underworld biome - make it seem less like a gamey challenge that exists to destroy your fortress and more of a living world in its own right.

Of course, this falls under the same category as creating other exotic biomes or planes of existence.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 12:35:06 pm »

As a variation of this idea, lesser demons instead of just fire imps

Fire imps don’t feel like a underworld worthy creature, though I guess lesser demons would be imp-like or take the forms of smaller creatures like vermin, though randomly generated too.

This is why i suggested [biome:underworld] to offer the choice between multiple places to manifest enabled on the minor demon so that if its not appropriate, the lava imp doesn't have to appear in the underworld like other full demons and can remain isolated in the lava sea. Though setting depth to 5 is still a valid token input for the same thing, but would take them out of the underground as a technical hack when you may really want them to come in from both seperate map-edges.
  • For example two different population counts, depending on how [MINOR_DEMON] interacts with the underworld on whether they are limitless deep below like other demon-kin, but have the same scarce populations in the cavern creature-lists as they do now.
  • If the mining disaster nation can reach this creature, it'll be domesticated and interred into their civ.
Some other creatures (variable degrees of difficulty i suppose based on what those lesser demons are) with [BIOME:UNDERWORLD] could come off the map edges and populate it time to time to break up the non-stop flow of demons. I dont disagree with generated lesser demons, but i think modders would like my OP first for being a tokens they could do a lot more with.
  • If you wanted you could use biome:underworld to insert some avenging angels to wreak havoc that aren't daemonic, (it'd be messy for uncollected corpse pieces unless they were made to dissolve away on death) then the option for you is availible
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:42:28 pm by FantasticDorf »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 12:56:12 pm »

Also to put aside a seperate point, evil rats are already referred to as demon rats.

It'd only have to take a additional step to make them giant demon rats for proper [MINOR_DEMON]'s in all thier mundanality in the world.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 01:18:59 pm »

I'm not sure why the name "imp" is thought to imply a demonic nature, other than that it's kind of a D&D thing.

The word actually means "child" and I kind of think of it more as something pixie-adjacent in the fantasy sense, honestly. Like a Puck.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 04:15:34 pm »

I'm not sure why the name "imp" is thought to imply a demonic nature, other than that it's kind of a D&D thing.

The word actually means "child" and I kind of think of it more as something pixie-adjacent in the fantasy sense, honestly. Like a Puck.

Ah yes, D&D, that 18th century invention.
Quote from: The Minstrel, James Beattie, 1771
Mortal, by folly still beguil'd,
Thou hast not yet outstripp'd the child;
Thou who hast twenty winters seen
(I hardly think thee past fifteen)
To ask if Happiness can dwell
With ev'ry dirty imp of hell!
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 06:13:23 pm »

Ah yes, D&D, that 18th century invention.
Quote from: The Minstrel, James Beattie, 1771
Mortal, by folly still beguil'd,
Thou hast not yet outstripp'd the child;
Thou who hast twenty winters seen
(I hardly think thee past fifteen)
To ask if Happiness can dwell
With ev'ry dirty imp of hell!
To be clear, I mean that D&D popularised that specific interpretation, which was ambiguous beforehand. In the 18th century there wasn't even a clear conceptual separation between fairies and demons in the first place. :P