Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ashenspirit  (Read 1518 times)

Jousou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Ashenspirit
« on: November 29, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

I started a new fortress today and decided to write a backstory for it. I welcome comments and suggestions, and will continue if you folks want me to.

--------------------------------------
Log of Ast âmdodók "Spokenclasped", First Leader of The Ageless Dark-Blades

10th Obsidian, 1060 -

The Mountainhome is lost.

We heard them coming. Eight days ago scouts reported the chilling pounding of goblin war drums from the valley bordering our capital. The Ageless Depths, as we called them, had withstood many goblin invasions before, and this one was to be no different. Dwarves were sent about arming traps, loading catapults, filling moats...most of them were familiar with the routine, barely pausing between daily labors to prepare for the siege.

Two days after the first report, the goblins could be faintly seen from the watchposts. The King ordered the militia assembled and sent out to meet the invaders, my son among them. He had proven inept and clumsy at the noble profession of mining but had retained a solid dwarven lust for battle. My wife and I were proud to see him heft his steel battleaxe and join the procession, a smile on his face and a lust in his eyes. I was also nervous, of course; the goblins are relentless and vicious fighters, as evidenced by the scores of engravings in our halls recording past battles. To pass the time awaiting his return, I did what I've always loved, tearing and tunneling through the earth in search of riches for the kingdom.

I'm still not sure when it started. It seemed one moment I was happily examining a freshly dug pink jade in hopes of presenting to my wife, and the next thing I knew the halls were filled with screaming, the clatter of steel on stone, and horrible shouts that could only have been the goblins. A small group of workers rushed around a corner in my freshly-dug tunnel, clearly seeking safety but finding only myself standing at a dead end. I remember staring at them for several seconds, bewildered, before the shock passed and instict set in.

Maybe it was fear. Maybe it was adrenaline. Maybe it was the aid of Armok Himself. I began digging for the surface like a dwarf possessed, crushing my way through stone and ore faster than I had ever known I could. The rest followed, a mix of panic and wonder in their eyes. They tell me I was screaming like a maddwarf; I don't remember. At one point the goblins must have found the tunnel, but as they approached I loosened the stone we had already passed. When they got close, I laid a final, mighty blow to the weakened tunnel wall, collapsing it on the fiends.

My arms were beginning to tire by the time I finally broke the surface. Outside, no danger was apparent, apart from one surprised goblin resting a few steps away from the hole. My pick in his throat promptly solved the problem. Our little group began running toward the southern forest, hoping to hide from the goblins before they noticed our escape. As we fled, the valley came into view, along with a sight that still haunts my vision. Ashes, everywhere. Charred heaps scattered in all directions. And looming above it all, a monstrosity I had only seen in fanciful engravings. Covered in chains and restraints, and held back by at least a dozen goblins, there stood a Red Dragon. The Ageless Depths had been doomed from the beginning.

We've been in the forest two days now. In total I managed to save six dwarves, two dogs, and a stray horse we found in our path. There has been no sign of my wife or son... The others look to me as their leader no matter what I say. My plan for now is to head south, toward the mountain range called The Gloomy Torch. Several months ago, the King ordered an expedition to the volcano there with the purpose of establishing a new fortress; they should have refuge for us.

16th Obsidian, 1060 -

We found the path through the forest and followed it for a day. We've just come across an abandoned wagon, probably an ill-fated trade expedition. I'm going to search it for anything we can use...

Armok help us. This wagon belonged to the Gloomy Torch expedition. They never reached the mountains.

17th Obsidian, 1060 -

We won't be defeated. Not this easily. Today, I grimly told the others that we would take the expedition's place. There are enough supplies left in the wagon to feed us for a time while we travel. We continue toward the Gloomy Torch, where I intend to hollow out a completely safe, Goblin-free haven for these dwarves. In memory of our home, we have named ourselves The Ageless Dark-Blades.

1st Granite, 1061 -

At last, the mountain. I can see how it got the name Gloomy Torch; dark clouds obscure the peak, and at night the crimson glow of magma is cast from a fissure in the mountain's side onto the clouds. The surrounding terrain is strange as well. All along the northern face of the mountain, trees grow among a light covering of snow, and there are a few visible pools of water. But the western face...is completely barren. Nothing is to be seen there apart from the magma fissure and a vast wasteland of black sand and ash.

We've managed to drag the wagon a short distance up the mountain before resting and planning our next action. I can see a section of clay in the mountain's face nearby. We'll put the first farm there before seeking a reliable water source. I suggested the name of Ibrukubal, "Ashenspirit", for the place, and the other dwarves agreed. In memory of my family, the Ageless Depths, and the Goblins that drove us to this fate, I shall personally strike the earth. May it be a safe place for Dwarfkind for years to come.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: Ashenspirit
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

Nicely written.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

Seconde... er...

Good story!  :D

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

Very, VERY nice story. I'm guessing there will be more entries in this, then?
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Jousou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

I've played through spring so far and written journal entries for it. I could post it now, but I'm looking into adding screenshots, as well as getting the map to the Archive. Even though I haven't done this before, I should have things figured out and the next part viewable very soon.

Edit: Archive upload successful. Here's what I'm working with.

[ November 30, 2007: Message edited by: Jousou ]

Werdnari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

Great story!

I only pray that goblins never harness the power of dragons.

Jousou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

That should do it. Here's Spring 1061.

--------------------------------------
Log of Ast âmdodók "Spokenclasped", First Leader of The Ageless Dark-Blades

7th Granite, 1061 -

Our work has begun. I've started an entry tunnel leading into the mountain while my fellow miner, Sodel Atheladil "Ringedwall" digs a farm and a room to keep the food in. The mountain is almost completely divided between its barren and fertile sides. Because our wagon stopped on the barren side, a passage is needed to connect the two. I'm aiming for a spot with a pond on the fertile side; our few barrels of ale won't last forever.

16th Granite, 1061 -

I believe the tunnel is nearly finished. An experienced miner learns to measure the distance he's mined almost instinctively. Soon I'll need to turn and dig a little further before heading upward. The woodworker Stodir Uristnïng "Daggerburned" has salvaged wood from the wagon and fashioned a temporary workshop; Mebzuth Tiristlîlar "Rimpatterned" the Stoneworker and Catten Fathbavast "Sackglided" the Stonecrafter have done the same. With the farm room and food storage complete, I asked Mebzuth to carve a few statues to go in a memorial room. The Ageless Depths have fallen, but Armok help me, they won't be forgotten.

21st Granite, 1061 -

It took three tries, but I found a suitable spot for the memorial room. The walls and floors are of Microcline, whose color I've always found soothing. We have all given requests to the mason on what to immortalize in the stone. Digging the tunnel has taken longer than I planned, but I persist. Hopefully the sight of trees and grass will lift my spirits more than black sand and smoke.

26th Granite, 1061 -

Clearly, I'm not the only one haunted by the violent loss of our home. Stodir and Sodel both panicked at the sight of groundhogs and ran for cover, dropping whatever it was they were carrying. At least it didn't take very much shouting to bring them back to their senses. I'm suddenly less flattered that they choose to follow me...

4th Slate, 1061 -

The tunnel is finished, and opens right next to a pool and grove of trees, just as I planned. The woodcutter has been sent to cut a few trees (hopefully she'll be able to evade the killer groundhogs) so that we can carve beds. Our memorial to the Ageless Depths is nearly ready for engraving and should be finished within two weeks.

16th Felsite, 1061 -

Mebzuth has finished the memorial. Unsurprisingly, most of the requested engravings depict the families and friends we have lost. Some also feature treasured possessions, demons, or ourselves traveling.

Now that I look closer...nearly half these engravings are of tentacle demons. I think I need a word with Mebzuth. The statues are of fair quality as far as I know; I've never had the eye for such things. Although the memorial is merely a paltry ghost of the greatness of the Depths, the room still helps me feel at peace.

1st Hematite, 1061 -

Ashenspirit's first spring has ended. We have a farm producing a steady supply of plump helmets, a water source, and have carved out space for living quarters and a dining room. With basic needs taken care of, I've begun pondering ways to ensure the safety of the fortress (as I've begun thinking of it) against potential attackers. I'd also like to make use of the magma fissure one day; many fortresses would give anything for access to the warmth of the earth, and here we have it on our doorstep.

---------------------------
And for good measure, here's Ast âmdodók's profile. I'll do my best to keep him in character.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »

Very good. It reads well.