Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PLEH! Embark Profile improvement  (Read 503 times)

applejuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PLEH! Embark Profile improvement
« on: January 28, 2021, 06:42:40 pm »

I made an embark profile for new players, but it's not working :(
And for the silliest of all reasons :') The type of :WOOD: used for the buckets, crutches, splints, was not available on the new location...
{Some of the items actually allocated automatically after I choose "prepare carefully} :')

Nor were one of the food types; (teenage mutant ninja) Pond Turtles... :(
Shouldn't those be available anywhere and everywhere with an underground pool? (From what I could find on the Wiki at least).

Could we get :GENERIC:WOOD: added as options for the embark profiles?
In such a way that some kind of random type will be used, instead of a predetermined one.
And please not only for Wood, but for everything that has some kind of "generic" version (where the type doesn't actually really matter much, if at all) or is not always available in 1 specific version: Stone, Leather, Fish, String, Cloth, etc, etc.
[or just enable ALL available version for the Embark to start off with, but that's a Band-Aid, not fixing the bigger issue though].

So for example, you get something like
15x :GENERIC:FISH or 15x RANDOM:FISH (although pond turtles would also give shells, which is better if you axe me, so that one should be available for sure! But for most other things, like buckets, string, etc, yeah; random)!

\o/
appLEjuice

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Re: PLEH! Embark Profile improvement
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 07:13:21 pm »

Generic wood, stone, etc., would be enormously helpful for the embark profiles I maintain for the Starter Packs. You can increase your odds a bit by choosing very common stone and cavern level one wood, common domestic animal meat, and so on, but there are still failures, which is rough especially considering users are more likely to be newer.

Or just let us cheat like "Embark now" does!  :D
Team Bug Fix!

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 03:56:39 am »

Why on earth is the embark even checking for "available at end location" in the first place? What purpose would that even serve?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

applejuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 10:30:23 am »

I don't know if it's "at the end location" or "at the home fortress's location" but yeah... It's a bit over the top imo :)
Then again; it does make it extra cool if you can embark with stuff that you will NEVER get afterwards anymore...
Because every time you see that "Carambola Barrel" or "Glumprong Crutch" or "Featherwood Splint" you will go like *ahhw* filled with nostalgia, and remember the time when the fortress was still only 2 chambers dug into the dirt.
:') My eyes are already tearing up thinking of it :') :p