Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tutorial movies  (Read 1124 times)

DungeonHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://home.arcor.de/dungeonhunter/Screens/
Tutorial movies
« on: January 17, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

I've been away from DF for a long time because I'm developing my own game and as always it's very hard to get back into the game mechanics. I know, there already are some tutorial movies by Toady but it would be nice to have some more. Maybe a tutorial section in the Wiki where there's a selection of some movies where someone plays (in a manner that you can understand everything -- scrolling through menus to see what he does and leaving menus opened a bit longer and stuff like that) till the first winter is over or something.

A good tutorial video could replace the whole article about how to survive winter.

Thanks in advance!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Tutorial movies
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DungeonHunter:
<STRONG>Thanks in advance!</STRONG>

It's an admirable idea, but who is going to do it? But why does someone else have to do it?  Surely you can do as good a job as anyone else.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

I'm still working on a DF for Newbies document on the wiki; once it's ready that should help a lot.  If I manage to add pics to it that'll help even more.  Adding movies to it demonstrating certain sections would probably be a good idea too.

DungeonHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>

It's an admirable idea, but who is going to do it? But why does someone else have to do it?  Surely you can do as good a job as anyone else.</STRONG>

Wow! That means that nobody ever made it through the first winter... no but seriously I think there are loads of people who could do a better job. And for another note: I just love to watch the movies and I'd love to see some more. If you want to see a noob playing I wouldn't mind to upload a movie where I'm giving what I can.

quote:
Originally posted by Maximus:
<STRONG>

I'm still working on a DF for Newbies document on the wiki; once it's ready that should help a lot. If I manage to add pics to it that'll help even more. Adding movies to it demonstrating certain sections would probably be a good idea too.</STRONG>

Sounds great, it would be a wonderful idea.

And I know this whole "give us a guide and a manual" talk can be a pain in the ass for every thing you need to know is achievable by trial and error, but I must admit that I have played the first few steps of the game over and over again and it's kind of getting nasty. Would just like to get a deeper look into the game but maybe it's just not made for me   :D.

[ January 18, 2007: Message edited by: DungeonHunter ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »

theres nothing better than watching other people play.  a friend of mine turned me on to this online nethack server where you can watch games and, im sorry, but theres just this voyeristic thrill you get from watching someone being killed by their pet kitten.

all in all, n00b movies are about 500% better than ones from experienced players.

DungeonHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 11:33:00 am »

Yeah it's nice to watch gameplay movies in general too. On akrasiasc.org you can watch crawl movies which is nice too. Too bad there is no movie page for DF  :D . Well if people enjoy noob movies I'll probably upload one where I play soon. I mean, the effort is like zero.