Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apprenticeship  (Read 1235 times)

Malroc The Valiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apprenticeship
« on: August 05, 2020, 03:07:05 pm »

I feel like I've seen a similar suggestion to this before, but after some googling I couldn't find it, so I'll make it again if someone else already has. I think I'd be cool if you could assign a dwarf with a legendary (or master I guess) crafting skill an apprentice. I find it slightly annoying to be training up a second weapon smith and have all their shitty weapon in with my high quality ones, and even more annoying micromanaging steal n' candy weapon production. The apprentice could stand next to the master while they work, boosting the master's work speed as the apprentices skill increases (I'd be fine with it increasing slower than normal). The apprentice could also fetch things for the master. The apprentice could automatically switch to working on their own once they were a high enough level.

I swear I've seen basically the same suggestion somewhere before. Maybe some old df talk where Toady was talking about having children be apprentices? I don't know.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticeship
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 03:45:29 pm »

I'm sure it has been suggested/discussed fairly recently, but slightly different from your balancing features.

My suggestion as to implementing your version might be to make an apprentice/master pair a 'unit worker', in effect, at least during workshop job assignment (perhaps guild-based activities, could expand to meal-taking, not sure it should extend to sleeping) where if both are available, they are assigned as a pair to the workshop(/wherever). The apprentice takes up the hauling duties (can go wandering for the next material just before the prior item is finished), the master stays working. The time the former spends 'idle' in the workshop counts towards skill-education, as per demonstrative learning in other contexts.

It could be an expansion of the "attend a meeting" code, limited to when a given Relationship entry (1:1 only, allowed?) combined with availability (immediate, or option to abort a 'lesser' task) allows the grouping to activate. The relationship can come from Overseer activation, perhaps, with only the requirement that the expertise of the master be above a certain threshold, but the rest must happen organically.

I'm wondering whether to suggest the possibility that, at a certain point and balance of master/apprentice skills, the latter can raise their skills (by chance) to higher than their still-developing leader. I'd quite enjoy the (slight) chance of an Announcement that "...the apprentice has now become the master." ;)

Malroc The Valiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 03:58:22 pm »

Ha, I love it, that would be great. Depending on the personality of the master they could get a happy or negative thought. "Urist Hammerwave was jealous of their former apprentices accomplishments"

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 11:54:38 pm »

I think it would make more sense if the master worked slower with an apprentice. Teaching is a burden, so trade the work speed of a master to boost skill of an apprentice. Seems like a more balanced and realistic deal.

It could train the master's teacher skill and in turn increase their speed with apprentices.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 01:12:57 am »

I think it would make more sense if the master worked slower with an apprentice. Teaching is a burden, so trade the work speed of a master to boost skill of an apprentice. Seems like a more balanced and realistic deal.

It could train the master's teacher skill and in turn increase their speed with apprentices.
Depends on how complex the task is. Having someone to run around the workshop fetching things, doing the mundane tasks as they learn them can speed them up. That's part of the reason masters take on apprentices, after all.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 02:54:25 pm »

Apprenticeship should be managed by guilds, who would accept apprentices they thought to be able to be taught (for exemple, blinds would never be accepted in a painting guild and illiterates would have some issues being accepted in some guilds) and then would sort them to various established guildmembers to be taught.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Red Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 09:01:01 am »

Apprenticeship should be managed by guilds, who would accept apprentices they thought to be able to be taught (for exemple, blinds would never be accepted in a painting guild and illiterates would have some issues being accepted in some guilds) and then would sort them to various established guildmembers to be taught.

There is no strict requirement this be so.  No actual reason an individual could not take on an apprentice without any guilds being involved. 

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 11:17:38 am »

Thinking about the speed advantage/penalty:

While apprentice is present, work progress and master-skill improvement is is slowed directly proportional to the apprentice-skill gain. i.e. a random amount of skill-points normally due to the crafter[1] are assigned instead to the assistant, and a relative number of 'ticks to completion' are added to the time it will take (or 'ticks progressed' negated, however it is best modelled). This represents the expert going through a technique they know well with care and attention to demonstrate, at the expense of some personal opportunity for discovering a new finesse.

Spoiler: Detail... (click to show/hide)

But when the Apprentice is not present, the master works as normal, gaining personal XP to the skill as if without (nothing skill-related going to the student-worker). The clincher being that the assistant (when free to Assist), the closer in skill to their tutor they are, will anticipate the next material needed in the job-queue/R in advance of task completion and go off and get it, to bring it back and *TSK* it into the given workshop(/zone?), so that they do that legwork and their senior does not have to, to speed up the transition time (would have wait, rather than get their own candidate material(s), if the assistant was still bringing the thing(s) back - could be a detriment if the strength and therefore haul-speed was sufficiently different between the two, or burrow/whatever differences made it delayed).  Lack of material-to-get would prevent any prefetch (message, as per "Job Cancelled, No MAT available", but no delay until prior work completed, by which time maybe a precursor stage had created/freed-up the required MAT.

(Simple Matter Of Coding, etc, although I'm trying to base this off modifications/expansions to the current code, insofar as it can be implied to be.)

[1] Includiing, if applicable, "skill overflow" points that already do nothing to raise them above Guru-level expertise, if they're basically a Yoda-of-the-Forge, or similar.

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 02:20:35 pm »

I think children should be able to help with hauling things around and bringing food and water. Simple tasks. Gathering fruit, for example.

Not babies but kids starting with 4? years old.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 02:44:11 pm »

Well, at least until child labour laws (or societal norms) don't reach 19thC levels, maybe...

(Familial apprenticeship, i.e. a spare pair of hands for the craftsman that can be shown how to do the fiddly bits but nothing too dangerous or strenuous, would be the obvious first step, before actually sending the kids down somebody else's mine to push/pull wagons. I don't think dwarves are 'industrialised' to the extent Britain was during the dark-ages of child labour, and long may they not be. Use a baby as a shield, yes, but work them to exhaustion in a dark hole, no...)