Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFhack- remove vermin?  (Read 1413 times)

0leg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFhack- remove vermin?
« on: January 10, 2021, 08:31:12 am »

Hello. I'm trying to catch these creepy crawlers with my trappers, but this armok-damned hamster always gets in way, it gnaws out of my traps and my dwarves always try to capture the hamster instead of the crawlers. I don't have cats to kill the hamster (if dogs can do it do tell me how I can get them to kill the hamster). This irritates me alot, maybe I can just poof it out of existance with a DFhack command?
: o )

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: DFhack- remove vermin?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 02:34:25 pm »

I don't know much about DFhack, I play vanilla, but how about some cages that aren't made of wood? If they are gnawing their way out then a metal cage should do the trick. Or a glass terrarium. Then just wall it into a room somewhere.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

0leg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:45:58 am »

I don't know much about DFhack, I play vanilla, but how about some cages that aren't made of wood? If they are gnawing their way out then a metal cage should do the trick. Or a glass terrarium. Then just wall it into a room somewhere.
yeah I know that, but can't get my dorves to use the metal cages instead of the wooden ones lol. Can't really wall it off since it's my food stockpile either

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 02:16:35 am »

Try the exterminate command for DFhack by typing in its creature token. It should clear up any present traces of hamsters on the map at a given time, though vermin might flash in and out.
Code: [Select]
exterminate HAMSTER
Something something, with great power comes responsibility, especially when you could accidentally point-destroy all your citizens with a misfire.

Animal stockpiles aren't fussy on the material of the cage or animal trap (with or without animal present, the criteria only prioritizes the animal), theres not really any reason why they wouldnt use the metal animal-trap/cages unless they're inaccessible somehow from the area they're stored & forged from, possibly through faulty stockpile links. You can however influence the rough kind of traps that are stored.
  • All metal traps/cages & elven grown cages are listed under 'additional options' as non-organic, while wood cages are the opposite, disabling one or the other enables/disables flow of those types being filtered there.
In the build screen you can lay down animal traps (its something like a alt key click over J i forget, its labeled on the building side panel), which metal ones generally can handle all kinds of vermin, and can be baited. Or from a butcher/kennels have a trapper dwarf set out to find vermin around the fort trap in hand, which you can coax them into a working area using burrows you last saw vermin you want to capture
  • A working part of farming cave spiders & silk, the silk collection is also are in a operation burrow, with trappers working to re-capture any loose specimens, and cats on chains posted outside the collection rooms secure hallway.
Cats and rodent-hunting falcons might be your best bet against hamsters, though once you have the hamsters caught you can display their cute little chubby cheeks inside terrariums along with other cages (though i've heard that maybe glass cages called terrariums enable more observation of vermin via them and aquariums being one and the same item, that's speculation)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:40:30 am by FantasticDorf »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 02:40:00 am »

If the hamsters are inevitable, forbidding or selling all the wood traps is an option.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 04:22:19 am »

Try the exterminate command for DFhack by typing in its creature token. It should clear up any present traces of hamsters on the map at a given time, though vermin might flash in and out.

I think vermin appear on the animals list after they've been caged once. Maybe they'd always be exterminated in that case, or there could be a script you could run from there.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 05:25:29 am »

I doubt the "exterminate" command works on vermin. Sure, it will probably kill all the ones caught, thus freeing up the traps, but it won't affect the appearance of new ones, as vermin are innumerable, and thus can't be killed off by killing them to reduce their numbers. Vermin flicker in and out of existence in the wild.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 12:42:34 pm »

get/spawn some cats?

keep them caged to avoid the catsplosion, uncage the males only as they're born

0leg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 01:36:04 am »

Code: [Select]
exterminate HAMSTER
Something something, with great power comes responsibility, especially when you could accidentally point-destroy all your citizens with a misfire.

Animal stockpiles aren't fussy on the material of the cage or animal trap (with or without animal present, the criteria only prioritizes the animal), theres not really any reason why they wouldnt use the metal animal-trap/cages unless they're inaccessible somehow from the area they're stored & forged from, possibly through faulty stockpile links. You can however influence the rough kind of traps that are stored.
  • All metal traps/cages & elven grown cages are listed under 'additional options' as non-organic, while wood cages are the opposite, disabling one or the other enables/disables flow of those types being filtered there.
In the build screen you can lay down animal traps (its something like a alt key click over J i forget, its labeled on the building side panel), which metal ones generally can handle all kinds of vermin, and can be baited. Or from a butcher/kennels have a trapper dwarf set out to find vermin around the fort trap in hand, which you can coax them into a working area using burrows you last saw vermin you want to capture
  • A working part of farming cave spiders & silk, the silk collection is also are in a operation burrow, with trappers working to re-capture any loose specimens, and cats on chains posted outside the collection rooms secure hallway.
Cats and rodent-hunting falcons might be your best bet against hamsters, though once you have the hamsters caught you can display their cute little chubby cheeks inside terrariums along with other cages (though i've heard that maybe glass cages called terrariums enable more observation of vermin via them and aquariums being one and the same item, that's speculation)
thanks, exterminate command doesn't work with vermin, but I'll try the rest of the reccomends. I think I should have a peregrine falcon if I have not butchered yet, I can use that to hunt the goddamned hamster.