Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rogue Race - Core Thread  (Read 925 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rogue Race - Core Thread
« on: January 14, 2021, 10:17:30 pm »

What do you get when you cross someone deciding to work on their arms race and a computer turning into a brick? Why, you get another arms race, but this time something that can be run from a phone! As such, expect shorter updates than I usually put forth as well as a faster turn rate more akin to literally anything that doesn't move at a glacial pace.

You are in a place! And it feels like a Roguelite!

This place is definitely a thing! And so are you! But what kind of thing are you?

Will you choose to be a Dungeonmancer or are you a Protagonist? Will you be responsible for creating a dungeon floor-by-floor, including foes big and small, traps, and bosses? Or will you be creating people who want nothing more than to dungeon dive, as well as their particular specialties, personal equipment, and potential loot for all dungeoneers past and present?

The setting will be...flexible! Any mixture of ideas will be equally viable and balanced to provide MAXIMUM FUN! An angry space marine and a hyperwizard will both have the same level of issues to overcome when tackling the Den of the Dimensionbeast full of Topiary Golems, so don't worry about your aesthetic being ineffective against whatever the other side may decide to bring!

Expect Protagonists to lose frequently at first! Starting loot tables are practically nonexistent! But in order to give the Protagonists the chance to catch up, developments on both sides will add items to the Protagonist loot table. (But MoP you said you wanted to make this playable from your phone, won't loot tables complicate things? No you jackhole, I'll be using an actual notebook)

Turns will be divided into three parts that matter to you: the Design Phase, where you propose new floors/mobs/loot/heroes/anything; the Revision Phase, where you alter previous creations; and the Planning Phase, where you decide who to deploy where with what and how. There is a super secret fourth phase known as the Action Phase, where I do some writing and tell you what you did wrong and make you feel bad about your mistakes. 

Success or failure of something's creation will depend on a roll of 2d6, with 6, 7, and 8 all counting as Average-level rolls, with 2 being Utter Failures where you get nothing, not even soup, and 12s are Unexpected Boons, where you get the awesomest of results with a little extra awesome for awesome measure. Rolls are modified by up to +/-4 based on the difficulty of creation!

Every turn will consist of 2 Designs and 2 Revisions for MAXIMUM GAINS!

Dungeonmancers and Protagonists have slightly considerations when it comes to deployment during the Planning Phase. Dungeonmancers can only deploy one type of floor for every floor level they have (so if they design two different floors meant to be level 2 they will have to choose one), and each creature/mob you make will have a FLOOR LIMIT which determines how many floors they can be placed on. Some units may also have special rules for deployment, but those will be covered as they crop up. They will also be responsible for assigning bosses, which follow the same general rules as floors. Floors can also come with unique room slots like Trap Rooms or Puzzle Rooms that may need filling with designed traps and puzzles, but do not need to be filled. Which may sometimes be wise, since those sorts of rooms tend to reward those who conquer them.

Protagonists don't have as much to take into consideration, relying mostly on RNG for their runs to be successful. They do have means to tilt the odds in their favor, though! When creating things to add to loot tables the items will receive a Rarity rating that determines what kind of chests they appear in - Common, Uncommon, Rare, Ultra Rare, and Legendary! Better things tend to be less common, but are better than worse things! Do not despair however! Each Protagonists brings along their own equipment and traits that are guaranteed to appear, and may even modify the dungeon against the Dungeonmancer's wills!

Chests will appear based on a floor's parameters, with rarity rates at; Common - 40%, Uncommon - 30%, Rare - 20%, Ultra Rare - 8%, Legendary - 2%, barring any external modifying factors, with the loot inside chosen randomly from the appropriate pool. If there are no viable options for a chest's level of rarity then it will default to the level beneath it.

Items will also have potential uses and synergies that won't be explicitly stated, so go nuts!

Finally, here's the starting inventories so that you can get a better idea of how things mesh together! Note that everything is generic and I'll modify things once a general theme emerges from this first turn's actions.

Spoiler: Dungeonmancer Caches (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Protagonist Caches (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:47:31 am by Man of Paper »

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Race - Core Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:40 pm »

Welp, I'm jumping on the dungeonmancers team

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 11:12:37 pm »

I'll be a protagonist (or am I actually the antagonist?)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 11:41:16 pm »

DONGEONMO
Edit: for balance, protagonist
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:19 pm »

Team Dungeon.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 12:22:28 am »

Ok, this is hard to decide. Both choices look way too fun.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 01:12:26 am »

What Happerry said, honestly.
Although... it is a little strange how three new Arms Races have started within as many days. If I didn't know better, I'd say that there was some sort of Arms Race Race going on!
I'll join Protagonist.

EDIT: I have just discovered a fourth Arms Race that started within the aforementioned timeframe! It's an Arms Race Race, I tell you!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:16:36 am by The_Two_Eternities »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 10:44:40 am »

Team Meatsheild Protagonist
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 11:04:26 am »

Dungeonmancers. Also staying out of discord unless MoP lets me in.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 06:43:54 pm »

Joining the Dungeon Masters.
it's over

AnonymousSpeed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 01:02:18 am »

I don't really know how this works but it seems fun. I'll join on the dungeon master's side. Can I simply start posting designs and revisions right away?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 01:43:48 am »

Yep! You can use the link in the first post to go to the team of your choice. If you have a discord feel free to join us there too!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 01:25:55 pm »

Posting so I get the battles in the updates

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 11:16:34 pm »

Run I

The NPC Who Thinks He's A Protagonist came to face-down on a cold stone floor. He stood up and looked around the dimly-lit chamber he was in. A plaque hung on the wall and read:

Welcome To The Crypt Of The Necrodancer Monster Mash

As he read the text, a peculiar tune began to flow through the dungeon.

"Ok," the NPC thought as he proceeded through a stone archway into another chamber. Immediately a heavy iron portcullis slammed down behind him as well as across the room.

Immediately he was beset upon by rats! And they were headed by a rat with a metal cymbal fused to it's tail! It beat the cymbal against the floor to the beat of the music! Creepy!

NPC screamed with furious fear as he bent over to punch the closest rat with a FIST OF "FURY", striking it in the face and exploding it into gore! Bam! Smack! Bop!

However, another rat was quick to pounce and got a nasty bite into his thigh before he could land another FIST OF "FURY" as he shouted. The rat hopped off and ran away, eye bruised by the fist and ego bruised by being beaten by a grown man screaming like an infant.

The blood seeping through NPC's peasant pants drew two more rats to him. He managed to fight one off before his other thigh was bitten. Oof! Good thing his screaming scared off the second! A few punches later and the last rat was fleeing, leaving only the Cymbalic Rat to contend with. And contend they did! NPC charged with a frenzy of fear-screams and low-swooping fist-punches, but took a sharpened cymbal to the face! Wowzers!

The Cymbalic Rat beat the mess out of NPC, leaving blood all over the floor, but eventually NPC came through, screaming enough that the Cymbalic Rat left the room out of pity.

The portcullises opened! SUCCESS! Defeating the Cymbalic Rat has revealed to the Protagonist the item it added to the loot tables - the Brass Frisbee, a single-use item that temporarily stuns an entire room when thrown, but is immediately discarded as the racket it causes is as annoying to the user as everyone else!

NPC entered the next chamber to find a chest sitting in the middle of the floor. It was big and red. An Ultra Rare Chest! Unfortunately, the Protagonist's don't have access to any Ultra Rare loot, so the NPC instead finds the rare Rusty Throwing Knives within. Woah! These Lockjaw-inflicting weapons were sure to do...something good!

There was an entryway to yet another room, so the NPC pushed onward. Inside the room was...another chest! A pit surrounded the chest, but the NPC was certain he could make the jump. He took a step back and ran forward with a great burst of speed! His feet left the stone floor and he arced over the pit, landing gracefully on the other side!

Or at least that's the scene that played through his head as he bodyslammed the side of the platform and fell unconscious into the pit.

Nobody knows how long the NPC fell for, but somehow they eventually appeared back at the Graverobber's Guild. At least they gained a small bit of familiarity with the first floor of the dungeon!

----

It is now the Design Phase! Time for both sides to make more shit! And be quick about it! The length of these updates is definitely not worth delaying and that's entirely the fault of the players, totally!