Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meta-suggestion concerning locked suggestion threads.  (Read 908 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Meta-suggestion concerning locked suggestion threads.
« on: December 11, 2020, 06:06:43 pm »

I propose that Toady One should delete and ignore all suggestion threads that:

A.  Have been locked by the threads OP

AND

B.  Consist of only a single post.

If an OP creates a suggestion only to immediately lock the thread without allowing others the opportunity to comment on and critique that suggestion, then their suggestion should not be worthy of the Toad’s attention.

Anyways, that’s my $0.02.

Feel free to comment on and critique this suggestion any way you want...

Edit:  wording.

Edit2: speling
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 06:08:54 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
Re: Meta-suggestion concerning locked suggestion threads.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 12:11:06 am »

You have a beef with Vordak?
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 01:30:18 am »

You have a beef with Vordak?

I just feel that, when a suggestion is made, the OP should allow others to discuss the suggestion.  I believe this has the capacity to add to and enrich the suggestion, as can be seen in countless other suggestion threads.  Currently, if I want to comment on a suggestion that has been locked by the OP, then (regardless of whether I oppose the suggestion, or I support and want to add to the suggestion) I am forced to start a separate thread.  This has the downside of polluting the suggestion forum with threads that would otherwise be unnecessary and making commentary relative to a suggestion harder to find.

As for Vordak’s suggestion,  I am currently undecided.  On one hand, they make a valid point concerning the ahistorocity of mail made from copper, and bronze.  On the other hand, I’m not sure that this should be enough cause to remove them from the game.  Perhaps, the dwarves should be able to make mail out of any metal.  Perhaps copper mail and bronze mail should only be possible as the result of a mood.  I am undecided on this matter and open to the opinions of others.  In any case, I feel the matter is worthy of discussion...

Also, I should probably clarify that, no, I do not have any personal beef with Vordak.

Edit: Clarification.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:58:17 am by A_Curious_Cat »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 08:54:24 pm »

I mean, my main beef with that particular thread is that bronze didn't just stop being used in the iron age.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 09:29:12 pm »

What I want to know is whether bronze mail is possible.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 11:26:02 pm »

Don't see why such an item couldn't exist. How easy it would be to make the rings and lock them together, you'd probably have to ask an expert. Probably not much harder than doing it with steel or whatever though.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 02:54:16 am »

How easy it would be to make the rings and lock them together,

That’s what I want to know.

Probably not much harder than doing it with steel or whatever though.

Depends on the ductility.  Making iron or steel mail requires first making wire and then bending, cutting, and riveting that wire.  Can the same be done with bronze?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 01:31:56 pm »

It's not very sporting but I guess I can see why someone would lock a thread they make. The suggestion forum is a place to leave a suggestion for Toady, sometimes you might not care about anyone else's opinion on it, or have any interest in justifying it. Vordak thinks the game would be better this way, no discussion wanted, now the suggestion is in Toady's court to implement or ignore. I get it, a lot of suggestion responses aren't helpful or friendly.

I think a lot of people think of this as a place to debate suggestions as a good or bad use of time, to 'vote' for or against, to sway Toady's opinion on the suggestion, or to steer the conversation in the direction they want. I think that's off base, this is a place a to leave ideas for Toady, who will make up his own mind about what's 'dwarfy' enough, or a good use of his dev time, etc.

Users shouldn't be obligated to debate their ideas or take community input in order to make a suggestion. Not having interest in a conversation shouldn't devalue their ideas.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 06:44:04 pm »

I believe that other users should be allowed to debate the merits of a suggestion, if they want to.  It’s up to the suggestion’s OP, of course, to decide whether or not they want to participate in that debate.  My main reasoning, however, is that I think others should be given the chance to add to and enrich the suggestion.  There are numerous cases where this can be seen at work in the suggestions forum, and (from what I can tell) it always seems to be a good thing in the end.