Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Book scribing whitelists & export reprecussions  (Read 458 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Book scribing whitelists & export reprecussions
« on: December 26, 2020, 04:27:58 am »

As much fun as it is, its not actually a effective exercise to have scribes working without a definite corpus mundus definition of what exactly you want them to write. I understand its meant to be about the fluidity of "oh no dont leave your necrobook in the open" but its very mundane to write exceptionally poor copies of well known books over and over again creating a false market for poorly scribed copies in the fortress.

So a few of the below underlined points

Practice Writing - A accessible alternative option from the library screen to dictate the actions of scribes that could be triggered to be default in the d_config, dwarves practice writing on a sheet of paper, but for every succesful attempt they reduce the quality of the paper by one until it is eventually broken and start over with a fresh piece.

A resolution like the destruction of a page circumvents the paper maker becoming distressed & reduces a intense paper trail of rubbished notes as wordsmith & writing is a occasionally hard skill to train on limited material.

Scribing UI - All books currently in fortress are that are orginal pieces of work have their own little UI slot in the library screen, and then they can be sorted in a scope-tree of their copies related to that book that you currently posses for selection by scribes on what materials to work with, with newly scribed copies being turned off by default.

In the case that you do not possess the original copy, it will bring up any relevant rumors about its wherabouts or destruction when hovered over, and if its validated as being destroyed you can designate a surviving copy to become the new original document, though the original author's family gains immediate claim on your plagiarism which could come back to bite you if they attempt to steal it or send a army (of the living or the dead) after you.

• Naturally this lets you backtrace any copies you've bought from the caravan also

Export Reprecussions - Absolutely not a allegory or certain places on the world that have limits on what content is acceptable, a number of reprecussions can be had if you could sell necromantic or otherwise secret laiden texts that deliver harm to other provinces inside your own civilization.

Criminal hunters may end up appearing and parlay that they wish for you to hand over the scribe responsible & copies of the offending material else they will loose their detachment of mercenaries upon you if the evidence isn't overwhelming evidence that you aren't all actually necromancers by the quantity of lore you export to escalate the conflict. If you accept, the dwarf will be detained, locked up, and the lore hidden in a secure place.

This suggestion was short & sweet and probably not the only one of its kind but fufills a suitable niche i think the new premium dwarf UI would handle very well, as well as upgrade classic DF usability.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:24:03 pm by FantasticDorf »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Book scribing whitelists & export reprecussions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 09:54:26 am »

So, will I can make whiteist for only books about secrets of life and death? For force my necroscribe to spread magic in fort.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Book scribing whitelists & export reprecussions
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 10:36:32 am »

So, will I can make whiteist for only books about secrets of life and death? For force my necroscribe to spread magic in fort.

In effective practice yes, you can dedicate a entire library space to doing it through 'L'ocation with the proposed system.