Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeking Utility: Water creation/rewall with ice  (Read 654 times)

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeking Utility: Water creation/rewall with ice
« on: November 27, 2007, 07:35:00 am »

So, yeah. I have a good fort going on a great map, with legendary armour and weaponsmiths and lots of steel to be had.

'cept all the ponds dried up. Then a Titan came, killed a few dwarves, and wounded twice that. In the end, a tenth of my population died, mainly of thirst.

Now I can start mass producing double-plus sweet arms and armour, but can't build a melee army without eventually losing most of the conscripts to training accidents.

So I'm wondering if there's any tool out there that lets you add water to a map? Or if that's too hard, maybe one that just lets you rewall like the old tool, but with ice? Then let it melt, or drop it, so you have water?

Also, masterwork copper bolts: bad idea, or really bad idea?

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Utility: Water creation/rewall with ice
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »

This is a quick hack.  It only works on 33c, and you should backup your save before trying it.  It goes through and fills any "murky pool" squares (i.e. the starting ponds and lakes) with 7/7 water.

http://angband.org/~erasmus/df/water.exe

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

THANKYOU!

...unfortunatly, it doesn't seem to work.   :(  I keep getting an "application configuration is incorrect" error.

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

That's what I get for messing with things I don't understand.  I've only got a copy of MS Visual Studio here, and I haven't really used it all that much.  Apparently, there are a couple of hoops it makes you jump through to get a redistributable EXE.

So instead, I'll just recompile tonight on the setup that I'm a little more comfortable with.  Sorry about this not working right.

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

Ok, updated version is up.  Same location:  http://angband.org/~erasmus/df/water.exe

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 04:18:00 am »

Awesome utility!

Perhaps consider adding it to the wiki utilities page?

Oh and while we're at it, is there a program like tileinfo that works on the latest version, it would really be helpful to figure out in what memory address a specific tile is located... Something appears to be odd with the tiles anyway, I managed to find an adamantine tile in the memory by looking for the £ (156) in the memory and then looking for whatever it changed to after it was mined out, and I managed to change it back to £ and I could mine it out a second time, but that only worked once, after that the memory address contained other data and I have not managed to find a tile again  :(

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 10:54:00 am »

Yes, tis indeed double-plus spiffy. Thank you.

Now I can actually maintain an army. And turn that ditch into a moat. And fish.

GLORIOUS WATER!

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shakkara:
<STRONG>Perhaps consider adding it to the wiki utilities page?</STRONG>

Done.  I was holding off on throwing it on there since it was a quick hack, and I didn't bother to make it version independent using the nifty tricks that 0x517A5D came up.  However, given that people are having a problem with water being depleted now, I suppose it's not a good idea to hold off indefinitely on publishing it until I get everything to an ideal state.

quote:
<STRONG>Oh and while we're at it, is there a program like tileinfo that works on the latest version, it would really be helpful to figure out in what memory address a specific tile is located...</STRONG>

Shouldn't be too hard to write.  The info for a given tile is actual split out across a couple of memory locations.  Map data is split up into blocks, which each represent 16x16 sections of tiles.  There are several 16*16 arrays within the block's data, each one representing different information about those same set of tiles.  More details are here:  http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Rick/Memory_research#Data_Block

Anyway, I'll try and cook up something quickly tonight.

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfius:
<STRONG>Yes, tis indeed double-plus spiffy. Thank you.</STRONG>

Glad I could help.  And I got lucky: The night before I saw your post, I was looking over the memory research stuff and playing with some of the information from here:  http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Mithaldu/Tile_types_in_DF_memory .  That made my job a lot easier because that gave me what I needed to find all the pond squares.  If I didn't know where the pond squares were, I would've had to cook something up that just dumped 7/7 water on the cursor position or something like that.  And while that would be more versatile, it'd also take forever to manually refill lakes.  With the utility the way it is, you can even choose to just run it once per game year or so and pretend you had a strong rain that refilled the lakes.

On another note, someone named Intently updated the wiki entry for water to include the following:
"Note: If there is lava in a murky pool, it will be raised to depth 7/7."

So there's an interesting bug / unintended side-effect associated with the program.

[ November 28, 2007: Message edited by: Erasmus Darwin ]

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shakkara:
<STRONG>Oh and while we're at it, is there a program like tileinfo that works on the latest version, it would really be helpful to figure out in what memory address a specific tile is located...</STRONG>

I'm not sure what info that tileinfo produced, but here's something quick I whipped up:  http://angband.org/~erasmus/df/query.exe  (.33c only; run it in a console so you can see the output)