Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What should I start with when first learning to mod?  (Read 1040 times)

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
What should I start with when first learning to mod?
« on: November 23, 2020, 10:34:05 am »

Hello! I'm thinking about getting into modding DF.

What should I start by doing? Is creature creation a good way to start, or is there some other thing that I should become familiar with? Thank you!
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: What should I start with when first learning to mod?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 10:56:56 am »

To give my 2 0.5 cent, it depends on what you want to do with your mod really.

I mean if all you want to do is add a couple of items all you need to learn about is modding items, civs, reactions and maybe a bit about tilesets. If you want to add a new creature those stuff are mostly irrelevant (except maybe tilesets and civs). Personaly I find creatures to be more demanding than just reactions because they have a lot more parts that are interconnected and so it's more likely that you might miss something.

The modding guide in wiki is a good place to start learning about DF modding.

edit: There are also a couple dedicated Q&A threads on this forum too, which are very helpfull but they can be a bit unwieldy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:59:20 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 11:25:17 am »

Going to agree with AW on this - though I also suggest you look through creature_standard.txt, as the DWARF entry has a lot of useful commentary on what certain bits and pieces do to a creature.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 01:58:09 pm »

Along with the other suggestions, I’d recommend working out how to get a couple mods working together. I learned a lot doing that.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 02:50:31 pm »

Don't be afraid to use copy-paste to apply features from existing examples. One of the first things I would do is make a copy of an existing creature and modify it to meet your needs. Or you can start with a plant, a metal or an ore.

There are several modding question threads around here where you can ask for help, too, which is one of the greatest resources we have outside the wiki.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 12:28:29 pm »

Those all seem like great suggestions.

I have two main ideas for mods right now: One 'Major' mod that I won't be making for months or years about how in a random year between 250 and 1000 the last three gods will unleash the apocalypse, and a 'Minor' mod where I just add a bunch of mutated duck-themed enemies. I'm doing the duck one first.
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 12:36:32 pm »

how in a random year between 250 and 1000 the last three gods will unleash the apocalypse,

that happens already

well not really but if i remember correctly at a certain year everything inexplicably dies
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.