Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make a creature that turns into smoke when it dies?  (Read 1254 times)

Korgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make a creature that turns into smoke when it dies?
« on: November 11, 2020, 11:40:29 pm »

Hello my fellow dwarfs, I'm trying to add some creatures from the  Witcher series to my games, I already added the devourer, drowners, nekkers, and now I 'm trying to add the floggets, but I wanted to make the creature turn into smoke when it dies, so I have a couble of questions on how to do that:

How can I make that possible? I know that it have something to do with the ITEMCORPSE token.  I know that if i want to cause a fire whe the creature dies  I have to uso something like that       [ITEMCORPSE:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COAL_BONFIRE]
but how can I replicate that with fog?

Also, there is a way to maintain the corpse and also cause the fog around corpse when the creature mets its demise?

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a creature that turns into smoke when it dies?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 04:37:41 am »

Back when I was testing how to make things instantly die, I did touch upon a method that causes a creature to briefly leave a corpse behind which vanishes into a cloud of gas (see: Death Style: Heat / Cold Damage). You could probably apply it to a creature, but you'd have to make some concessions for the jankery involved. Here's how you'd do it (I think, I'm a bit rusty with all this :P):
  • Give your creature a homeotherm below standard temperatures (this will mean that your creature is naturally very cold)
  • Set all the creature's materials to have a heat damage point and boiling point starting at regular temperatures
Essentially, the creature should be able to live because its homeotherm keeps its body from boiling away, but then when it dies it'll stop maintaining its temperature, and it's body will warm up and start boiling away.

Alternatively, you might be able to make a dummy material with heat damage points and boiling points at zero, and have the creature spawn a boulder of that material as an item corpse. That might work, but I forget if the game checks for temperature updates on items that aren't being interacted with. If it does work, that'll be a cleaner method that doesn't rely on you making the creature very cold, and their materials essentially unusable, but it does lose the effect of seeing the corpse turning into smoke.

Also, there is a way to maintain the corpse and also cause the fog around corpse when the creature mets its demise?
As far as I know, it's an either/or situation. If you really want that sort of effect, you could possibly hack it so that its blood instantly boils, or it releases some sort of smoke from its wounds. Though that would mean the effect starts when it's alive and fighting, and there's no guarantee that it'll always happen when fighting them if they die without being cut (plus, trying to fight in a constant cloud of smoke is annoying!).

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 07:13:25 am »

I believe the token NIGHT_CREATURE_NIGHTMARE actually does exactly that. Same with making the creature a type of boogeyman.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

Korgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 01:39:59 pm »

I believe the token NIGHT_CREATURE_NIGHTMARE actually does exactly that. Same with making the creature a type of boogeyman.
Indeed, I tought the same thing, but in my game I always generate the wolrd without nightmares and bogeyman, so If I do that does it spawn in the wolrd anyway?

Korgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 02:09:05 pm »

Back when I was testing how to make things instantly die, I did touch upon a method that causes a creature to briefly leave a corpse behind which vanishes into a cloud of gas (see: Death Style: Heat / Cold Damage). You could probably apply it to a creature, but you'd have to make some concessions for the jankery involved. Here's how you'd do it (I think, I'm a bit rusty with all this :P):
  • Give your creature a homeotherm below standard temperatures (this will mean that your creature is naturally very cold)
  • Set all the creature's materials to have a heat damage point and boiling point starting at regular temperatures
Essentially, the creature should be able to live because its homeotherm keeps its body from boiling away, but then when it dies it'll stop maintaining its temperature, and it's body will warm up and start boiling away.

Thanks for the response my friend! Interesting method of achiaving this goal, I will do some testing with this.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 12:29:19 am »

Indeed, I tought the same thing, but in my game I always generate the wolrd without nightmares and bogeyman, so If I do that does it spawn in the wolrd anyway?
Raw-defined bogeymans and nightmares shall spawn even in worlds with no generated ones.