Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There is any tutorial teaching how to create titleset?  (Read 817 times)

Quizumba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
There is any tutorial teaching how to create titleset?
« on: December 01, 2020, 08:34:18 am »

hi, I'm new here and I want to create a tileset but I don't know how to mod and also don't know if there is a tutorial teaching how to do this. Can any older member help me?

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There is any tutorial teaching how to create titleset?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 06:29:27 am »

A tileset is simply an image containing a grid of 16×16 tiles. It can be a bitmap (bmp) with magenta background, or a PNG with transparent background (I would recommend this format). The size of the image will decide the size of tiles: 256×256 means 16×16 tiles, 128×192 means 8×12 tiles, ... When drawing a tile, it is first multiplied by the foreground color, then drawn on top of the background color (usually black, but there is a few exceptions).

There is a nice wiki page listing the use of each tile. As noted, some object may be configured to use a different tile through d_init.txt or raws. And there is also the possibility to use graphic sets for creatures.

Then there is TWBT. Its most basic usage is having separate tilesets for text and graphics. This lets you reuse more tiles for graphics while keeping text readable. More advanced usage is though overrides that allow you change tiles for objects that were not moddable with d_init/raws or even use more than two tilesets.

TWBT also let use a different drawing mode using three layers: bottom one (suffix -bg) is multiplied by the background color, the middle one (no suffix) is multiplied by the foreground color (like the normal tileset), the top one (suffix -top) is not modified.