Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moar /tg/ style evolution  (Read 722 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Moar /tg/ style evolution
« on: October 27, 2020, 06:29:04 pm »

ever since I got back into playing Spore a few days ago, I've always wanted to host this forum game that was originally hosted by Lord_lemonpie

since relatively original by bay12 standards (but unoriginal by IRL standards), I'm just gonna make a slightly edited version of the original game's rules

Welcome to the shittily drawn moon of B4Y-XIIa, which totally isn't a suspiciously similar moon of B4Y-XII. This is a garden world in its prime: vast oceans filled with an assortment of life, huge empty landmasses that shift around due to the flow of hot magma underground, and there's even an atmosphere! You, however, are not a part of the intricate biosphere of this planet. You are a godly entity, a force of sorts. And you are not alone. Your power lies in causing mutations, but there's only a limited amount of species you are able to manipulate. Will you help this planet thrive? Create higher organisms possibly even capable of civilization? It's up to you, and your MSPaint skills (you don't need to be good tbh, I'm shit too).

Good evening, morning, afternoon, night, dusk, dawn, eternal hellfire and/or solar eclipse to all people of the world! Today, we start a journey. A journey of evolution. And we'll do it /tg/ style.

What the frick is /tg/ style evo? Let me explain!

How to play:
We'll have 4 starting organisms. You'll be able to edit them mutation by mutation. For example, you could make one get bigger fins, an extra eye, a different colour, a new organ and other stuff too. As long as it's semi-scientifical (No obvious magic stuff, but things like electric shocks or magnetic field-generating organs are fine.) and not made to be weird/quirky. Also make sure your mutations aren't too large, add rudimentary arms before new arms for example. Single organisms can have multiple new species emerge from them, you aren't just limited to editing an organism/stage once. If you're already working on a mutation for an organism and someone ninjas you, make sure to still post yours because diversity is fun in this game.

You add a mutation by grabbing the pic of one of the currently living creatures. I'll clearly show when species go extinct by having big ass messages displayed saying "everything before this is extinct". Then, draw the mutation you'd like to add in MSPaint or an editor of your choosing. If you think a creature gets too full, or you just want to, you can redraw the entire creature. Once you're finished, upload it to a reliable host like pic8.co, slam it in the post. Make sure your post quotes the post you're evolving it from, but do try to avoid huge ass quote pyramids by snipping them off regularly. Then, add a new Latin name and a common name. Example: Irydociclytis pneumonia, the Green-arsed Doge -> Irydociclytis tuberculosis, the Thicc-arsed Doge. If a creature is changed a whole lot, you can change the genus name too (Irydociclytis tuberculosis -> Cuntophilius hemorrhoidae). Also make sure you include a description and the purpose of your mutation.

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)

When this continues for some time, we'll have some variety. At any given moment (typically when I'm bored or feel like there's not enough originality), I, the OP, can announce a specific extinction event. This event will be "something, for example: "Poisonous Lead molecules are slowly seeping into the ocean, and they're starting to kill stuff.". There'll be a set amount of time to make certain creatures adapt. After the time, any unadapted creature goes extinct. You will not be able to revive and/or mutate them again. Their death is permanent.

I will also keep track of the evolutionary tree, a tree depicting the evolution of all organisms. It'll clearly show which organism is extinct and which one isn't. Here's an example of a partial one Lord_lemonpie did over on 4chan. The file got too big, so I had to separate them. Every line means an extinction event.

Spoiler: Tree (click to show/hide)

Some other rules:
1. Don't claim a species as yours.
2. Don't whine when your favourite species goes extinct, evolution is a bitch
3. You don't need any skills to draw, I'm shit at it too. As long as we can differentiate between the creature and its previous generation, it'll do.
4. Try to use solid colors, not brushes. This makes recoloring and adding stuff easier. In MSPaint, just use the pencil and the bucket.
4b. This doesn't mean creatures should be monorchrome! Use a lot of color if you want too, but make sure it's just solid chunks
5. No transparent backgrounds please, just make 'em white
6. No new species, just edits.
7. The same person may not edit one of his own edits within 12 hours of posting it. Exceptions might be made, depending on the situation. This rule is here to avoid a single guy continuously updating his own organism.
8: Watermarks have no evolutionary value. Avoid them if possible.
Anything I forget will be added to it later.

Without further ado, the starters!
Spoiler: PlantyMcPlant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MeatyMcMeatbag (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: SpikeyMcSpikes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Autism (click to show/hide)

don't worry I'll put actual effort into narrating the world as a whole and occasionally creating extinction events and evolution trees
it's over

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moar /tg/ style evolution
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 06:47:13 pm »

Fluxus folium repandi, otherwise known by it's name as the Flow Blossom. A mutation in which the Florescus initia developed a float-sack instead of traditional roots to allow energy-free travel on the ocean currents. The pollen from the flower float off in the current to others, pollinating them, all while it enjoys a nutrient-rich diet from the water's currents. Seeds germinate and fall to the bottom, and grows into a new flower which eventually lifts off to continue the cycle.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:53:14 pm by TricMagic »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:52:00 pm »

-snip-
Fluxus folium repandi, otherwise known by it's name as the Flow Blossom. A mutation in which the Florescus initia developed a float-sack instead of traditional roots to allow energy-free travel on the ocean currents. The pollen from the flower fall from the bottom to land in many places among the ocean, all while it enjoys a nutrient-rich diet from the water's currents. The pollen eventually grows a new flower which eventually lifts off to continue the cycle.

now that's a cool first evolution if I've ever seen one
it's over

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 06:54:53 pm »

-snip-
Fluxus folium repandi, otherwise known by it's name as the Flow Blossom. A mutation in which the Florescus initia developed a float-sack instead of traditional roots to allow energy-free travel on the ocean currents. The pollen from the flower fall from the bottom to land in many places among the ocean, all while it enjoys a nutrient-rich diet from the water's currents. The pollen eventually grows a new flower which eventually lifts off to continue the cycle.

now that's a cool first evolution if I've ever seen one
I have been editing so it works, but done now, quote pyramid included.

Float among the Flow PlantyMcPlant!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 07:12:52 pm »

Spoiler: Autism (click to show/hide)

A Failed? attempt at evolving for greater speed, the Unum Maelopus rostratis instead developed an armored sensory organ while the mouth became a trapdoor of sorts. When eating the flesh pulls back to the bottom armor allowing it to swallow large chunks, and when closed it doesn't show faster speed through the water than before. Nothing else differs other than another way to sense electrical signals from prey, which their red spots already did. It's ability to tear into foes using the beak has undoubtable been neutered though. One could point out that the new organ grants another direction to sense, where there were no spots before. It's commen name is the One-Beaked Maelopus.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:18:57 pm by TricMagic »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 09:06:03 am »

Spoiler: Flow Blossom (click to show/hide)

Flore Coronam, known as the Crown Blossom. Due to a lesser need for the stem, a mutation developed from Fluxus folium repandi. Most of the other parts never developed. Instead a sturdy skirt formed around the floatsack which helps filters nutrients and keeps it upright while traveling on the currents.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 09:14:23 am by TricMagic »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 04:48:59 pm »

Spoiler: SpikeyMcSpikes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 05:09:18 pm »

(unless said large objects are transparent but glass tends not to be underwater)

just wait until the civilization stage
it's over