Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Propaganda and Rumor Management  (Read 841 times)

BugbearSpearFighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Propaganda and Rumor Management
« on: October 15, 2020, 12:02:05 pm »

I'd like to see a position duty added for managing propaganda. Leaders on the entity level with this position can attempt to change cultural values (likely to more closely match their own), and can help/hinder the spread of rumors in their region. This will play into the intrigue system, using schemer as a skill, and these positions can attempt to hinder rumors like information on artifacts, as to stop villains. Possibly on a fortress level, it could be assigned to the Dungeon Master, and cause them to discourage other dwarves from sharing the location of in-fortress artifacts.

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Propaganda and Rumor Management
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:39:04 pm »

town/fortress/burrow? crier and some set of "cultural mandates" that can be set up.

dwarves might get bad thoughts if they for instance don't have a respect for authority yet that's part of the cultural mandate of the fortress.

or something.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 03:11:29 pm »

Having the player fund artists so that they promote his worldview could be part of it, since it hustorically happened ruler funded artists. Extended versions could see private persons such as landowners and priests do this too.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 04:54:03 pm »

I like this idea.  It would be interesting if your fortress was vulnerable to the propaganda of neighboring settlements (if they had the resources and an NPC in the appropriate position with very high Schemer) that could potentially change the values of some of your dwarves.  Seeing a new petition for a guild or temple from another civilization would be interesting too, and potentially worth inviting conflict among your dwarves if "arguing about conflicting values" is a thing worth being concerned about (I don't know). I'm hoping the Myth & Magic release years from now will also allow an entity's religions to be more connected to their cultural values, as opposed to right now where they mostly exist independent of them.

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 05:42:43 pm »

I like this idea.  It would be interesting if your fortress was vulnerable to the propaganda of neighboring settlements (if they had the resources and an NPC in the appropriate position with very high Schemer) that could potentially change the values of some of your dwarves.  Seeing a new petition for a guild or temple from another civilization would be interesting too, and potentially worth inviting conflict among your dwarves if "arguing about conflicting values" is a thing worth being concerned about (I don't know). I'm hoping the Myth & Magic release years from now will also allow an entity's religions to be more connected to their cultural values, as opposed to right now where they mostly exist independent of them.

they should have influence but be "independent"-ish... basically like: real world, several real world faiths have, at various times, been used to ban or heavily restrict the consumption of alcohol, yet even in places where these religions are well established there are still strong drinking cultures that merely see it as a "guideline for moderation" and not as an absolute ban. (I mean even with the underlying conservatism in Iran that exploded in 1979, there were something like 300 wineries in operation(since then that country is supposedly dry) I doubt that it was just the cosmopolitans or "liberal"-classes that sustained that demand).