Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't get race to show up in adventurer mode  (Read 1152 times)

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't get race to show up in adventurer mode
« on: October 11, 2020, 03:14:07 am »

I'm so exhausted...  I have been so frustratingly barely unable to find the answer for this for hours!  I made a creature, just a metal man called a servitor.  I put it in creature_standard.txt in the raws for the world I already made; the creature has [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] so I should be able to play as such.  I opened up the entity_default.txt for that world and added

[ENTITY:GOLEM]
   [CREATURE:SERVITOR]
   [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE]
   [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE]

But I cannot pick them in Adventurer Mode so clearly this isn't right.  I know I do not need much to just make a creature playable as an outsider, but I just can't find out what I'm doing wrong or what's missing.

EDIT:  I pasted both the creature and the entity into the general DF raws and made a new world, and it worked, so that's nice.  I still would like to understand why it wasn't appearing in the world I already made, I was under the impression that edited the raws of a saved world/region would let you add things without needing to make a new world each time?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 03:45:01 am by madpathmoth »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get race to show up in adventurer mode
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 03:50:17 am »

OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE is a creature token, not an entity token. That means, this should work.
EDIT: Gotta read these before I post...

So, I think some of the stuff (like which animals will be tamed in world gen and who are controllable) - those get "baked in" pretty early. Some other stuff is generated at the embark/create adventurer stage, and some get checked once they enter the screen (such as animals) so those can be edited and updated in the raws.

I would guess OUTSIDE_CONTROLLABLE is baked in early, but that does seem odd since creature tokens can be changed mid-game.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 03:54:02 am by delphonso »

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get race to show up in adventurer mode
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 02:36:37 am »

EDIT:  I pasted both the creature and the entity into the general DF raws and made a new world, and it worked, so that's nice.  I still would like to understand why it wasn't appearing in the world I already made, I was under the impression that edited the raws of a saved world/region would let you add things without needing to make a new world each time?
It's generally the opposite of that - the vast majority of changes require a new world to be generated (see the stickied thread).