Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experiments  (Read 1321 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Experiments
« on: October 28, 2020, 05:26:29 am »

I've recently had my first big undead siege. Walking naked corpses, walking armed corpses, intelligent undead and most interesting, a range of experiments, ranging from big scaly men to horrific 8 legged llama monsters. The wiki has some information but heres a few things that the wiki doesn't do justice.

Experiments can be sentient, or non-sentient. The non sentient ones may be butcherable. Furthermore, the sentient ones come armed (or at least have the capacity to be armed)

Experiments are mostly trap avoidant, but some of them aren't. The scaly lizardmen were sentient, armed and got mangled by the traps. The llama-spiders were not and did not.

Experiments are not all immune to pain...? Not so sure about this one but i believe i recall one of the lizard men giving in to pain in the weapon traps.

At least some of them are definitely building destroyers as the wiki says

Lastly they share with Forgotten beasts and other procedurally generated creatures the unknowability of their products. As a consequence, experiment bone can end up in the wrong refuse pile, because they cannot be specified in the refuse conditions.

Any other interesting finds people have found with experiments?
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Experiments
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 07:38:51 am »

They can't learn Necromancer secrets, whether in worldgen or adventure mode (or rather, they can read them and are listed as Necromancers in Legends, but don't show any powers). Not too sure about modded secrets.

They can breed, if they aren't genderless, and IIRC they're born as adults rather than growing as normal.

They have a unique message when they attack, as opposed to the usual 'The dead walk' thing.

They cannot worship deities, but I think they're able to turn into Vampires or Werebeasts - going to test that myself.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 05:04:40 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 09:53:22 am »

Some can fly, some can have excretions (I believe I've seen dust, sadly without any visible effect on the other critters). The trap avoiding building destroyers and trap avoiding fliers are nasty combinations.  Fortunately, I haven't encountered any that pick locks, but I don't know if that's off limits or I haven't been unlucky enough to encounter them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:34:00 pm »

They cannot worship deities, but I think they're able to turn into Vampires or Werebeasts - going to test that myself.
They can worship deities. Unlike Animal people (who lack some code allowing their civilized pops to pick up a local religion), you can actually start Adventurer as an experiment who worships a deity. They pick them up on occassion from whichever civ they've integrated into. (Not automatically, so you might need a couple of worlds to spot them. Works on whatever code spreads religion around from town to town).

(Animal people bug here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11403).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:42:50 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 05:04:26 am »

Huh. I stand corrected, then. Hadn't seen that before.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 06:28:17 am »

Huh. I stand corrected, then. Hadn't seen that before.
Went through many, many worldgens trying to prove my hypothesis that civilized Animal People weren't picking up religion properly. You come across them every so often. Often just one or two towns amongst the several that Experiments can come from.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 08:24:05 am »

They can breed, if they aren't genderless, and IIRC they're born as adults rather than growing as normal.

They can grow as normal. I haven't seen babies (I also haven't looked) but I have seen children in adventure mode.

One thing I haven't seen tho is any "domestic" experiments, IE experiments who produce milk, can be sheared, or can haul wagons and stuff. I also dont think I've ever seen them lay eggs, but I haven't ever had that many of them in a fort and there aren't really nestboxes around in adventure mode.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 11:08:59 am »

At a guess, none of the product production tags will be produced for experiments, and I would also guess that the egg laying one won't be generated either. Note that it's purely guesswork, though.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 11:24:25 am »

Yeah I'm pretty sure none of them get the domestic tags but the egglaying one has me curious. Honestly it would probably be a pretty good way to limit them to only reproducing "offscreen" to stop the whole invaders giving birth midcombat problem, but at the same time since they were intended to be able to join player civs too I could see toady wanting to avoid eggs since egglaying civilians are maybe one of the most annoying things ever.

I'm gonna go with I don't think they ever are egglayers since I can't remember seeing experiment eggs for sale from merchants or at embark but I gotta admit I'm curious now.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.