Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Observations from my current game ... stockpiles ....  (Read 1029 times)

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Observations from my current game ... stockpiles ....
« on: August 17, 2020, 09:11:59 am »

Well into my 7th year of my fortress. All is coming along nicely. No attacks yet. Some Kobold thieves. No need for a military still.

I made some specialized stockpiles.

The ones for block stone and food work great.

I made specialized stockpiles for:
Furniture -> Barrels
                 Bins
Finished goods -> Yarn
                         Plant cloth
                         Leather
                         Silk
                         Horn
                         Bone
                         Splints / Crutches

And they all stay empty. Even after deleting the Furniture and Finished goods stockpiles for a long time now.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Observations from my current game ... stockpiles ....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 11:22:01 am »

Check 'o' and see if Dwarfs are set to Gather Furniture.

Check 'j'obs menu, scroll down to a "Put item in Stockpile' job, and click 'j' again. This is how you see what item will be carried to a stockpile. Then check the other "Put item in Stockpile" jobs in the 'j'obs menu to see if there are orders for the furniture (if not, it is likely the stockpiles were set to 'a' or some other restriction was put on the stockpile, causing the order to not be created).

If you see orders for the furniture and you only have few dwarfs and they are all busy, it just might take time.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Observations from my current game ... stockpiles ....
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:10:46 pm »

How else do you have the stockpiles set up?

For example for the furniture which has barrels and bins enabled.   What materials (that the bins and barrels are made of) is enabled?  And what quality is allowed?
Those will matter too.  If all you have are wood barrels and wood bins, but you've only enabled metal, then none of the empty wood containers will go to that stockpile.

Same thing for the finished goods pile.  Based on what you have said it's set to, it sounds like the stock pile will only stock splints and crutches made of: yarn, cloth, leather, silk, horn or bone.

If you have that finished goods stock pile set for all items allowed, all qualities allowed and only those materials, then all finished goods with those materials (no metal or glass figurines, amulets or rings) would go to that pile.