Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: merchants suddenly die near volcano  (Read 2083 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: merchants suddenly die near volcano
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 01:17:59 pm »

Leonidas just Ninjaed a whole lotta text in which I said much the same (in amongst some other guff).

Except that non-Wagon trading figures (beasts of burden and accompanying personnel) can arrive anywhere even with no accessible Depot, so a restrictedly-accessible Depot may not get all non-Wagoneers spawning correctly. Needs confirming.

Last I checked, the game spawns all merchants (wagons, pack animals, and guards) at a single wagon-accessible point, as long as one exists - if there is no wagon path, it'll pick a different location (which tends to be anywhere, unless you've gone to extreme lengths to restrict the map edge e.g. by lining it with raised briges).

Granted, caravans come with units other than merchants - if you've got a Liaison (from the Dwarves) or a Merchant Noble (from Humans), that unit will not appear at the same location as the caravan, instead picking a totally random spot along the map edge.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 01:23:27 pm »

Leonidas just Ninjaed a whole lotta text in which I said much the same (in amongst some other guff).

Except that non-Wagon trading figures (beasts of burden and accompanying personnel) can arrive anywhere even with no accessible Depot, so a restrictedly-accessible Depot may not get all non-Wagoneers spawning correctly. Needs confirming.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread.

I've been controlling the wagon that way for years with no problem. It always shows up in the right spot. I think it's the only way to handle the merchants, considering how easily they get spooked. I've also never had invaders appear inside the depot tunnel, but maybe that's just luck.

This is much easier on small embarks. With a big embark, it takes a lot of time to haul the materials out to the edge of the screen.

This is an example of the setup that I use, though I was one tile off in digging the tunnel. The east and west walls are drawbridges raised to act as walls. And that's a paved road to prevent trees from springing up. I ran this fort for ten years with no merchant problems.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 05:17:17 pm »

It's a long time since I've seen it, so might be a fixed bug, but I've had wagon (not deliberately restricted by me) and beasts (not restricted at all, that you'd notice) appear at different edge-points, so it left me wondering.

As I aim more for permissive than restrictive (I allow them to appear anywhere, and the worst they need to do is walk half a side-length to the official 'gate', and the rest is as described), apart from a couple of corner-flush bridges sealing off edges from each other in the unbuildable-zone (if lucky, immigrants and other friendlies can spawn on a different edge from a milling group of non-flying hostiles (siege, even?), each happily funnelled into their own quadrant of go/no-go for access), it hasn't really been of consequence to me.

Good to know, though.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2020, 11:29:47 pm »

A few surviving merchants are wandering near the trade depot but they refuse to trade any more. They refuse to leave either, even months later.

if you're still struggling with this detail, i find deconstructing the trade depot usually gets them to wake up and go home.  don't forget to rebuild it after they leave!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 01:43:38 am »

- Multiple trade depots have been reported to cause buggy behavior, so I wouldn't recommend that.
- Caravans can apparently spawn wherever there's access to the trade depot. However, that access restriction appears to be calculated for a single tile wide arrival (i.e. the dragged animals), not wagons. Thus, the caravan can show up on the other side of the river you've bridged with a single tile wide floor or bridge, and then immediately state that the wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site (happened to me a few years ago, but I don't think the wagon logic has changed. In that case the caravan spawned on the same side of the river the embark wagon was, and I'd decided to cross the river to build the fortress on the other side).

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 10:53:32 am »

Ok, so I'm reasonably sure now that an imp did it. The main clue: it climbed into my tavern a bit later. I was lucky to kill it off without casualties (with an improvised squad).

Any magma crabs in the unit list?  Are there any reports in the "r" menu regarding the missing units?  If there was anything causing damage they'd usually generate some kind of report.
Nope, that was the weird part. No reports of fighting whatsoever.

HungTir: thanks, yeah, that helped.

So as you guys suggested, I now have a new location for the depot, as close to the edge and as far away from the magma pipe as possible. In earlier games I had just sealed off the magma with a floor, but this game I will continue to play with fire and see what happens. ;) Although I did very cowardly take some measures to prevent imps from climbing into the tavern in the future.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:56:00 am by Quarque »
Pages: 1 [2]