Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horse recruit  (Read 1175 times)

Folrunge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Horse recruit
« on: July 16, 2020, 03:24:14 pm »

Not sure if intended, but it's hillarious. The darn thing is called a horse recruit and is an invader. It actually mauled to death one of my dwarves and chased after another, so it made me think why my ol' nag is not capable of similar feats :P

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horse recruit
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 03:21:58 am »

my memory is woolly, but i think this means the horse is a historical figure (probably due to having kills).  if you find it in the units list, it probably has a name (and a mane, i suppose)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 03:45:36 am »

Yes, it means it's a hist fig who's scored a kill earlier. It's a bug, where I think the intended process is for such recruits to stem from sapients only (I've had many invading trolls and ogres being upgraded, and in their case they have better armor and equipment than the standard cannon fodder [although I still question the decision to make use of an ogres superior strength to equip it with a crossbow...]).

I believe there are earlier reports of beak dog recruits riding beak dogs as well...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 06:13:30 am »

Another recruit bug so soon? This was meant to be fixed within recent releases though it doesn't do anything implicitly to stop animals gaining titles for simply being present at a historic event or slaying foes.

You can fix this with modding by setting appopriate castes to the worlgen civ captain position to filter out either a group classification or specifics, meaning they'll only incorporate those soldiers. You might miss out on some demon-experiments though, and trolls without further modding.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 09:02:07 am »

If an animal kills something and becomes a hist fig, does that mean it can gain experience?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 11:51:08 am »

If an animal kills something and becomes a hist fig, does that mean it can gain experience?
I assume it does.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 04:38:18 pm »

Pretty sure they need the CAN_LEARN tag.

Learning creatures (those with the [CAN_LEARN] creature tag) may increase their skills through practice and use; conversely, creatures that cannot learn will never experience a skill increase.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 06:03:52 pm »

Pretty sure they need the CAN_LEARN tag.
Awww! I was hoping for a warhorse that was a legendary biter and kicker.