Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did REGULAR_CONVERSATION change in fort mode?  (Read 1220 times)

emeraldemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Did REGULAR_CONVERSATION change in fort mode?
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:36:13 am »

I tried turning on regular conversation to see what my dwarfs were talking about for a bit.  I used
Code: [Select]
[REGULAR_CONVERSATION:A_D:D_D] in announcements.txt.
Actually I mostly wanted to laugh at them saying "this singer is terrible" in the tavern.  But they don't seem to do that any more.  Instead of conversation text like you'd get in adventure mode ("Hello, my name is Linkot Babblepeasant" etc) you get instead what seem to be direct thoughts:
Sazir Athelbab, Bone Doctor: I learned Distillation For The Beginning Practitioner.  That was not satisfying.
Stodir Konosroldeth, Herbalist: I finished up some work.  That was not satisfying.
It's been a while since I turned this on, did conversation announcements change in a recent version update?  Or is there some other announcement / setting that I'm missing?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Did REGULAR_CONVERSATION change in fort mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 10:21:50 pm »

I'm not sure if they do greetings in fort mode.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:01:54 am »

Yeah, they've done this since 44. so there has never been a running commentary in this mode about localized events for this reason. I tried making a bug report out of it but by investigation by loci, they still socialize & develop so my report got thrown out on the trash heap.

Choice few third party applications can actually monitor dwarves speaking without actually needing to change announcments as per being some sort of cities-skyline twitter-bird like complaint monitor, i can't remember them right now but ill dig them out for you and repost here.

emeraldemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 11:20:06 am »

Thanks, seeing the thoughts is still useful for gauging happiness & complaints, but it'd be nice to see some of the flavor stuff once in a while too, just for fun.  I could try retiring and visiting in adv mode, but the last time I tried that it didn't work so well.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 11:22:04 pm »

It's actually that thoughts are conversation put into the dwarf status screen. The same type of conversation generated by asking someone how they're feeling in Adv Mode.