Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaiming randomly generated fortress  (Read 979 times)

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reclaiming randomly generated fortress
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:37:45 pm »

So, it's been a while since I played and I decided to try a new game in the new update. Apparently, my world came with a lot of fortresses that I could reclaim. My question for those who have done these kind of reclaiming forts is this: what are the pros and cons of reclaiming a fortress that was generated in the game? And what are some things I should be mindful of, other than making sure I have the exposed sections of the cavern levels secured (I already had to beat a giant olm to death.

There seems to be a metric shit ton of clothes, though I haven't gotten a bookkeeper set up.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaiming randomly generated fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 03:41:29 pm »

I've never reclaimed a worldgen fort, and didn't even know it was possible until very recently. Please share your experience!

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 06:15:53 pm »

I did a reclaim once, back in .44; I've also been to quite a few ruined forts in Adventure Mode:

1) yeah, there's a lot of clothes, but it seems (in my experience) that they're usually all "large" (sized for humans, I think) - so they're extra worthless, except maybe as trade goods. OTOH there's often a big pile of assorted goods near the surface (which may include armor + weapons), and usually some quality goods (including steel gear) in the middle section of the fort, in a room full of display cases.

2) It used to be forts mainly got ruined by being destroyed by forgotten beasts, meaning there'd be an angry "current resident" hiding somewhere in the fort (usually in a bedroom). So you'd have to go in prepared to deal with the critter. Nowadays I think most forts get ruined by necromancers, so there may be less danger going in (unless some zeds have stuck around).

3):
Spoiler: Actual Spoilers (click to show/hide)
Needless to say that's not usually going to be a problem, but it's worth noting: be careful as you explore lower in the fortress!

Overall, I think the biggest pros are:
   you get some free stuff, either for trade or use
   you don't have to spend time digging out rooms
   you'll never want for anvils
   you get to interact with a place that has a history - nothing like reclaiming the old Dwarven capital for the full Moria experience!

The cons:
   the generated fort layouts are pretty random and maze-like, so making a functioning, attractive fort out of it may be tricky
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

DwarfComic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 06:58:35 pm »

I did a YouTube vid series on this semi-recently. Hardest part for me was that it wasn't my design so the flow wasn't natural to me. BUT, it's fun cause sometimes there's hidden beasts and stuff in the fortress still. Pro is tons of stuff you can jump start your fortress with and sometimes artifacts. Funny enough the walls that were muddy and keeping the beasts out, would grow plants and beast could wall in. Like an old decomposing fortress.