Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon traps now break?  (Read 2156 times)

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon traps now break?
« on: June 20, 2020, 04:35:15 pm »

I am making green glass weapon traps (yes I know) and they are being detroyed when they trigger. Not every time but often. If this is intended I think it is a great change and very sensible, it makes the traps less O.P. Nevertheless I was wondering if anyone knew the details of this mechanic. Does the quality of the components increase their lifespan? If I use metal instead of glass will it last longer?

Any details are appreciated.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon traps now break?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 05:01:54 pm »

Indeed they do! All weapons and armor accumulate wear when used in combat, including the weapons in traps. In fact, for a while there was an issue with weapon traps causing crashes because the game didn't know how to handle them breaking completely.

Here's the wiki article on item wear. In general, how much something is damaged depends on how much it's used, and what materials it's hitting. Follow the same general rules as weapons for your military: if it's slashing or piercing, steel or candy will serve you far better. If it's blunt damage, you're much better off with silver or anything heavy.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 02:11:26 am »

Following up on TubaDragoness' answer, weapon and armor wear was introduced a few years back, possibly with 0.42.01. At the same time, damage war reworked to introduce twisting damage through force.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 06:52:29 am »

Steel weapons rarely, if ever, wear out. So make your traps out of those.

I've also seen weapon traps deconstructed occasionally. No wear on the weapons but the mechanisms were gone. I think building destroyers can destroy them in specific circumstances.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 11:47:58 am »

A gremlin, removes mechanisms. Not positive, since they operate in stealth. But pretty sure, if 'only' the mechanism, is damaged, it was a visiting sneaker.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 02:08:19 am »

the thing with weapon traps is that, the weapons will wear out and break and need replacing, and if the weapon trap actually kills something, there's a 50% chance it will jam, causing a mechanic to path out to try and clean it

so what you want is not to have effective, injurious weapons in them; what you want is to have the least effective, lowest hit-chance, cheapest, basic-ass, single weapon in there.  you don't want the weapon to even hit the enemy, you just want to make them dodge

... into the pit/magma channel/etc that you dug next to it

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 03:44:22 am »

the thing with weapon traps is that, the weapons will wear out and break and need replacing, and if the weapon trap actually kills something, there's a 50% chance it will jam, causing a mechanic to path out to try and clean it

so what you want is not to have effective, injurious weapons in them; what you want is to have the least effective, lowest hit-chance, cheapest, basic-ass, single weapon in there.  you don't want the weapon to even hit the enemy, you just want to make them dodge

... into the pit/magma channel/etc that you dug next to it

I can't live without my traps  of 10 masterwork steel serrated disks, loaded into a masterwork steel mechanism. Yes they get stuck, but I've yet to see any of them break. And the bloodbath they cause.. it is glorious.
Incidentally, they also make the value of your fortress shoot through the roof.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 11:02:44 am »

Lowest quality mechanism + 1 masterwork serrated steel disk. That's what I put in mine.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.