Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with Necromancer Mayor?  (Read 1902 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with Necromancer Mayor?
« on: June 14, 2020, 07:09:21 pm »

I discovered rather dramatically that 47.04 necromancers are very good at killing themselves and those around them. After a messy battle against two elf armies, my necromancer king decided to ignore his burrow restriction and take a stroll through the battlefield. Shocked by the unfamiliar carnage and sunlight, he started reanimating corpses left and right until some intelligent undead chased him down and beat him to death with his own crossbow. It was fantastic.

I have one necromancer left. One the one hand, I would like to keep him around for necromantic experimentation and all-around fun. So I should lock him in a room with a window. If I don't lock him up, then he's likely to wander onto some future battlefield and cause another ruckus.

On the other hand, the necromancer is also the mayor. So if I lock him away, then unhappy dwarves won't benefit from his excellent social skills. And they may waste time trying to go complain to him when he's unavailable.

What do you advise?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with Necromancer Mayor?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 07:27:17 pm »

Got that problem, right now necro queen. I sneakily put shrines to her 2 fav gods in her tomb room, no need to leave to worship. And a screw pump to ride in her dining area. Everything foodwise, she will need is in throne burrow somewhere, also gave her access to hospital and nearest well. Crossfingers.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 08:45:09 pm »

You can choose a different mayor manually.  Just keep your necromancer away from combat and you'll be fine. 
They don't sleep, eat or drink so that tends to be an issue due to happy thoughts and slowness. 
I usually have mine locked away with my vampire where they can talk to each other without killing each other.  Plus (after learning this recently) I make one a bartender (and have some wine in there) so they can make each other drink.

Because my Necromancer has been tantruming or just wandering obliviously and wanting meetings, I've been letting him out again so hey can talk to my mayor or baron.  For a while I was just switching mayors to my vampire and to some other non-mandating dwarf with high social skills (so the mayor and the complainer both receive positive thoughts for a meeting, plus office quality thoughts).  Still keeping him away from combat though.  Accidentally let him around some combat against keas and he raised one.  Nothing too bad, but annoying.

Like Leonidias, I'm keeping mine for experimentation with non-hostile creatures.

I keep a temple and tavern in my vampire/necromancer chambers so they can get happy thoughts this way, plus some good constructions and decorations.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 08:46:55 pm »

Properly harnessed necrocitizens are incredibly useful. They can potentially raise your dead dorfs as ridiculously tough intelligent undead that experience no stress whatsoever. It's best of course to do this in a controlled environment, since it seems kind of random whether they decide to raise people as intelligent undead or zombies.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.