Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unkillable Echidna Corpse  (Read 944 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unkillable Echidna Corpse
« on: June 12, 2020, 12:50:52 pm »

Some invading elves killed a cute little wild echidna that had been hanging around outside the fort. Then the necromancer king reanimated him. Now there are a dozen elite soldiers who pound day and night on this little undead soccer ball that won't die.

It's not a big problem. The soldiers are getting awesome XP, and I can eventually kill the echidna with DFHack. I just want to know why it can absorb limitless damage.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Unkillable Echidna Corpse
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 12:52:08 pm »

I think DF has a creature tag that allows some creatures to roll up into a ball, making them very damage resistant.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 05:28:15 pm »

Some known bugs, listed in the wiki under the search for echidna:  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Echidna

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 09:05:54 pm »

(If "Unkillable Echidna Corpse" isn't already the name of a band, probably in the Punk, Post-Punk or Post-Punk Revival scenes, then it should be.)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 05:22:59 pm »

Here's another little mystery: My dwarves who are pounding on the echina corpse aren't getting any experience for it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 06:01:53 pm »

Here's another little mystery: My dwarves who are pounding on the echina corpse aren't getting any experience for it.

Might be part of the same logic as not getting experience for unconscious opponents. I think you don't gain experience for attacking withdrawn creatures in adventure mode, but I haven't tested.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 06:03:39 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?